Thermochemical investigations of nearly ideal binary solvents. I. Standard heats and volume changes of solution in methanol-isopropanol mixtures at 25°C
Standard heats and volume changes of solution of acetone,n-butanol, chloroform, and water in methanol, isopropanol, and mixtures of the two are reported. In every case, the value of a measured property in a mixture is more negative than the mole-fraction average of the values measured in the pure solvents. Equations relating the heat of solution in a binary mixture to the heats of solution in the pure solvents and the excess enthalpy of the binary mixture are developed from equations for the excess enthalpy of simple ternary systems. Heats of solution ofn-butanol agree fairly well with predicted values. Combination of standard heats of solution with standard volume changes of solution allow estimation of standard energy changes of solution at constant volume.
Key wordsBinary solvents excess partial molal volumes heats of solution methanol-isopropanol mixtures nonelectrolytes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.a.G. L. Bertrand, F. J. Millero, C. H. Wu, and L. G. Hepler,J. Phys. Chem. 70, 699 (1966);Google Scholar
- 5.G. A. Krestov and V. I. Klopov,Zh. Strukt. Khim. (Eng. translation),7, 608 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.E. L. Taylor, M.S. Thesis, University of Missouri-Rolla, 1969.Google Scholar
- 9.b.V. T. Lam, H. D. Pflug, S. Murakami, and G. C. Benson,J. Chem. Eng. Data 18, 63 (1973), and references cited therein.Google Scholar
- 10.T. E. Burchfield and G. L. Bertrand, research in progress.Google Scholar
- 12.J. H. Hildebrand and R. L. Scott,Regular Solutions (Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, 1962), pp. 104–106.Google Scholar
- 13.Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 48th ed., R. C. Weast, ed. (The Chemical Rubber Co., Cleveland, 1968), p. F-12.Google Scholar
- 14.International Critical Tables, Vol. III, 1st ed., E. W. Washburn, ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1928), p. 36.Google Scholar
- 15.L. Benjamin and G. C. Benson,J. Phys. Chem. 67, 858 (1963).Google Scholar
- 18.V. S. Griffiths,J. Chem. Soc., 860 (1954).Google Scholar
- 22.H. Hirobe,J. Colloid Sci. (Tokyo) 5, 25 (1908); as given by J. Timmermanns,Physico-chemical Constants of Binary Systems, Vol. 2 (Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York, 1960), p. 476.Google Scholar