High resolution observations of quiescent filaments show oscillations that are strongly tied to their fine threads. It is shown that neither slow nor fast MHD modes may account for the observations, which rather are in accordance with Alfvén waves.
KeywordsHigh Resolution Resolution Observation Fine Thread High Resolution Observation Quiescent Filament
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jensen, E and Wiik, J E: 1990,Dynamics of Quiescent Prominences, IAU Coll. No. 117 (Eds. V. Ruzdjak and E. Tandberg-Hanssen), 298.Google Scholar
- Joarder, P S and Roberts, B: 1992 a, Astron. Astrophys.256, 264.Google Scholar
- Joarder, P S and Roberts, B: 1992 b, Astron. Astrophys.261, 625.Google Scholar
- Solov'ev, A A: 1985, Soln. Dannye9, 65.Google Scholar
- Thompson, W T and Schmieder, B: 1991, Astron.Astrophys.243, 501.Google Scholar
- Wentzel, D: 1977, Solar Phys.52, 163.Google Scholar
- Yi, Z, Engvold, O and Keil, S L: 1991, Solar Phys.132, 63.Google Scholar
- Yi, Z and Engvold, O: 1991, Solar Phys.134, 275.Google Scholar
- Yi, Z: 1992, Doctoral Thesis, University of Oslo.Google Scholar