X-ray and electron microscopy studies of polysulphur nitride
(SN) x crystals have been studied by a combination of scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy and rotating crystal X-ray diffraction. The studies reveal a structure of considerable complexity. The size of individual crystallites is typically a few nanometres by a few tens of nanometres, and their crystal structure is as previously reported by Mikulski and co-workers rather than that reported by Boudeulle. In bulk crystals there is a mosiac spread of approximately 10° in and about the fibre axis. A new twin mode is proposed where crystals twin about a plane perpendicular to the plane defined by individual chains arid is referred to as a (¯102)* mode. The possibility of the existence of at least two other twin modes is also discussed. An alternative orientation relationship between the precursor dimer phase and the final polymer is presented.
KeywordsPolymer Electron Microscopy Scanning Electron Microscopy Transmission Electron Microscopy Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Boudeulle, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Lyon (1974).Google Scholar
- 2.C. M. Mikulski, P. J. Russo, M. S. Saran, A. G. MacDiarmid, A. F. Gavito andA. J. Heeger,J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 97 (1975) 6358.Google Scholar
- 3.M. J. Cohen, A. F. Gavito, A. J. Heeger, A. G. MacDiarmid, C. M. Mikulski, M. S. Moran andJ. Kleppinger,ibid. 98 (1976) 3844.Google Scholar
- 4.R. H. Baughman, private communication (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Stejny, J. Dlugosz andA. Keller,J. Mater. Sci. 14 (1979) 1291.Google Scholar
- 6.R. H. Baughman, R. R. Chance andJ. Cohen,J. Chem. Phys. 64 (1976) 1869.Google Scholar
- 7.E. D. T. Atkins, D. H. Isaac, I. A. Nieduszynski, C. F. Phelps andJ. K. Sheehan,Polymer 15 (1974) 263.Google Scholar
- 8.R. H. Baughman,J. Polymer Sci. Polymer Ed. 12 (1974) 1511.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Barrett, G. M. Brimlow, W. G. Herrenden-Harker andM. G. Priestly,J. Phys. F Meta. Phys. in press.Google Scholar