Laparoscopic pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy
- 323 Downloads
A case of chronic pancreatitis localized in the head of the pancreas with pancreas divisum was treated by laparoscopic pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy. The laparoscopic technique of resection and reconstruction with a gastrojejunostomy, hepaticojejunostomy, and pancreaticojejunostomy is described. The postoperative period was complicated by a jejunal ulcer and delayed gastric emptying necessitating a prolonged hospitalization and intravenous hyperalimentation. No fistulas occurred, a follow-up CT scan revealed no pancreatic abnormalities, and the patient was discharged in good condition on the 30th postoperative day. Although technically feasible, the laparoscopic Whipple procedure may not improve the postoperative outcome or shorten the postoperative recovery period.
KeywordsLaparoscopy Pancreatoduodenectomy Whipple operation Surgical laparoscopy Chronic pancreatitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Braasch JW, Gagner M (1991) Pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy technical aspects. Langenbeck Archiv fur chirurgie 376: 50–58Google Scholar
- 2.Clayman RV, Kavoussi LR, Soper NJ, Dierks SM, Merety KS, Darcy M, Long SR (1991) Laparoscopic nephrectomy. New England Journal of Medicine 1370–1371Google Scholar
- 3.Crist DW, Sitzmann JV, Cameron JL (1987) Improved hospital morbidity, mortality and survival after the whipple procedure. Ann Surg 206: 358–365Google Scholar
- 4.Gagner M, Rheault M, Dubuc J (1992) Laparoscopic partial hepatectomy for liver tumours. Surg Endoscopy 6: 99Google Scholar
- 5.Mouiel J, Katkhouda N, White S, Dumas R (1992) Endolaparoscopic palliation of pancreatic cancer. Surg Lap & Endos 2:241–243Google Scholar
- 6.Reddick EJ, Olsen DO (1989) Laparoscopic laser cholecystectomy with mini-lap cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 3: 131–133Google Scholar
- 7.Shimi S, Banting S, Cuschieri A (1992) Laparoscopy in the management of pancreatic cancer: endoscopic cholectystojejunostomy for advanced disease. Br J Surg 79: 317–319Google Scholar