The acceleration and the deceleration of the tumbling period of Rocket Intercosmos 11 during the first two years after launch
- 69 Downloads
We have analysed the development of the tumbling period of Rocket Intercosmos 11 (1974-34-B) during the first 2 years after launch. We interpret the period increase, observed from August 1974 to June 1976, as being caused by torque moments due to eddy currents induced in the hollow cylinder by the magnetic field of the Earth. The spin-decay time of 1974-34-B was 1.13 yr. This compares well to results derived by Williams and Meadows in 1978 for other Soviet rocket bodies.
The tumbling acceleration of 1974-34-B, observed in June 1974, is interpeted as outgassing effect of rest propellant which remained inside the rocket after burn-off. A model of the outgassing acceleration is developed and compared to the period measurements of 1974-34-B. A reasonable good agreement between observed and predicted periods can be derived by using a nonlinear regression fit. An initial mass ratio of the rest propellant and the empty rocket cylinder is estimated.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Torque Nonlinear Regression Period Measurement Initial Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Budo, A.: 1976,Theoretische Mechanik, Deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Dixon, W. J. (ed.): 1985,BMDP Statistical Software 1985 Printing, University of California Press, California.Google Scholar
- Gibbons, R. F.: 1977,Spaceflight 19, 54.Google Scholar
- Giese, R. H.: 1963, Attitude Determination from Specular and Diffuse Reflection by Cylindrical Artificial Satellites, Research in Space Science,SAO Special Report, No. 127, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Knidger, N.: 1981,Spaceflight 23, 161.Google Scholar
- Mielke, H.: 1972,dtv-Lexikon der Raumfahrt und Raketentechnik, dtv-Verlag, München.Google Scholar
- NASA Rept.: 1986,NASA Satellite Situation Report 26, No. 4, Greenbelt, p. 187.Google Scholar
- Pilkington, J. A., King-Hele, D. G., Hiller, H., and Walker, D. M. C.: 1980,Table of Earth Satellites, Vol. 3, 1974–1978, Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough, p. 367.Google Scholar
- Sagirov, P.: 1970, Satellitendynamik, BI-Verlag, Mannheim.Google Scholar
- Smith, G. L.: 1964,Effects of Magnetically Induced Eddy-Current Torques on Spin Motion of an Earth Satellite, NASA TN-D-2198.Google Scholar
- Williams, V. and Meadows, A. J.: 1978,Planetary Space Sci. 26, 721.Google Scholar