Relation between gestational sac diameter, crown-rump length, and maternal serum estradiol, progesterone, and prolactin levels in early pregnancy
- 64 Downloads
In 152 patients with an early pregnancy which was subsequently normal, we measured the maternal serum levels of estradiol (E2), progesterone (P4) and prolactin (PRL) as well as the diameter of gestational sac (GS) and the crown-rump length (CRL) of the embryo by transvaginal ultrasonography. The maternal serum level of E2 had the closest statistically significant correlation with both the GS diameter (r = 0.769,P < 0.01) and the CRL (r = 0.736, P < 0.001). P4 and PRL concentrations showed less correlation with embryo development.
Key wordsGestational sac Crown-rump length Estradiol Fetal development
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bernaschek G (1988) Vaginal sonography versus serum human chorionic gonadotropin in early detection of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 158:608–612Google Scholar
- 2.Bree RL, Edwards M, Böhm-Vélez M, Beyler S, Roberts J, Mendelson EB (1989) Transvaginal sonography in the evaluation of normal early pregnancy: correlation with HCG level. Am J Roentgenol 153:75–79Google Scholar
- 3.Duff GB (1975) Prognosis in threatend abortion: a comparison between predictions made by sonar, urinary hormone assays and clinical judgement. Br J Obstet Gynecol 82: 858–862Google Scholar
- 4.Fossum GT, Davajan V, Kletzky OA (1988) Early detection of pregnancy with transvaginal ultrasound. Fertil Steril 49: 788–791Google Scholar
- 5.Hertz JB, Mantoni M, Svenstrup B (1980) Threatened abortion studied by estradiol-17β in serum and ultrasound. Obstet Gynecol 55: 324–328Google Scholar
- 6.Nyberg DA, Filly RA, Mahony BS, Monroe S, Laing FC, Jeffrey Jr RB (1985) Early gestation: correlation of HCG levels and sonographic identification. Am J Roentgenol 144: 951–954Google Scholar
- 7.Nyberg DA, Mack LA, Laing FC, Jeffrey RB (1988) Early pregnancy complications: endovaginal sonographic findings correlated with human chorionic gonadotropin levels. Radiology 167:619–622Google Scholar
- 8.Tulchinsky D, Hobel CJ (1973) Plasma human chorionic gonadotropin, estrone, estradiol, estriol, progesterone, and 17 a-hydroxyprogesterone in human pregnancy. III. Early nomal pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 17:884–887Google Scholar