Resonant macroscopic quantum tunneling in Josephson junctions
- 30 Downloads
Many theoretical studies and some experiments have shown the possibility of several new secondary quantum effects in small Josephson junctions at low temperatures. We show that, within the well-established quantum picture of the junction, it is possible to experimentally observe sharp voltalge peaks at certain current values. Such peaks are related to a resonant macroscopic quantum tunneling between levels in neighboring wells of the proper washboard potential having close energies. The proposed experiment, with respect to experiments on Coulomb blockade or Block oscillations, requires a larger junction area, reducing the technological difficulties in making the samples.
Key wordsJosephson junctions macroscopic quantum tunneling Coulomb blockade
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. D. Caldeira and A. J. Leggett,Phys. Rev. Lett. 46, 211 (1981); A. D. Caldeira and A. J. Leggett,Ann. Phys. 149, 374 (1983); Antony J. Leggett,Direction in Condensed Matter Physics, Vol. 1, G. Grinstein and G. Mazenko, eds. (World Scientific, Singapore, 1986), p. 187 and references therein.Google Scholar
- 2.R. F. Voss and R. A. Webb,Phys. Rev. Lett. 47, 265 (1981); L. D. Jackel, J. P. Gordon, E. L. Hu, R. E. Howard, L. A. Fetter, D. M. Tennant, R. W. Epworth, and J. Kurkijarvi,Phys. Rev. Lett. 47, 697 (1981); S. Washburn, R. F. Voss, R. A. Webb, and S. Faris,Phys. Rev. Lett. 54, 2712 (1985); M. H. Devoret, J. M. Martinis, D. Esteve, and J. Clarke,Phys. Rev. Lett. 53, 1260 (1984); M. H. Devoret, J. M. Martinis, and J. Clarke,Phys. Rev. Lett. 55,1908 (1985); J. M. Martinis, M. H. Devoret, and J. Clarke,Phys. Rev. B 35, 4682 (1987); A. N. Cleland, J. M. Martinis, and J. Clarke,Phys. Rev. B 37, 5950 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.A. I. Larkin and Yu. N. Ovchinnikov,J. Low Temp. Phys. 63, 317 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.A. I. Larkin and Yu. N. Ovchinnikov,Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 91, 318 (1986) [Sov. Phys. JETP64, 185 (1986)].Google Scholar
- 5.K. K. Likharev and A. B. Zorin,Low Temp. Phys. 59, 347 (1985); L. J. Geerligs, M. Peters, L. M. de Groot, A. Verbruggen, and J. E. Mooij,Phys. Rev. Lett. 63, 326 (1989); L. J. Geerligs, V. F. Anderegg, J. Romijn, and J. E. Mooij,Phys. Rev. Lett. 65, 377 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.A. I. Larkin and Yu. N. Ovchinnikov,Sov. Phys. JEPT 86, 719 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.A. I. Larkin, Yu. N. Ovchinnikov, and A. Schmid,Physica B 152, 266 (1988).Google Scholar