Short-circuit diffusion in the growth of nickel oxide scales on nickel crystal faces
- 246 Downloads
A study has been made of the growth of nickel oxide layers on the (100), (110), and (111) crystal faces of nickel exposed to oxygen for periods up to 100 hr at temperatures in the range 500–800°C, These layers grow at a rate dependent upon the crystallographic orientation of the nickel face even at thicknesses within the scaling range. The (100) face oxidized more rapidly than the (110) and (111) nickel faces while the latter faces oxidized at different relative rates dependent upon temperature. A diffusional model is employed to interpret the oxidation kinetics wherein nickel transport proceeds in nickel oxide both by short-circuit diffusion at grain boundaries and by lattice diffusion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. V. Cathcart, G. F. Petersen, and C. J. Sparks, Jr.,J. Electrochem. Soc. 116, 664 (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.J. M. Perrow, W. W. Smeltzer, and R. K. Ham,Acta Met. 15, 577 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.J. M. Perrow, W. W. Smeltzer, and J. D. Embury,Acta Met. 16, 1209 (1968).Google Scholar
- 4.E. A. Gulbransen and K. F. Andrew,J. Electrochem. Soc. 101, 128 (1954).Google Scholar
- 5.J. J. Van der Broeck and J. L. Meijering,Acta Met. 16, 375 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.L. Berry and J. Paidassi,Compt. Rend. Acad. Sci. Paris 262, 1353 (1966).Google Scholar
- 7.M. L. Volpe and J. Reddy,J. Chem. Phys. 53, 1117 (1970).Google Scholar
- 8.T. Homma, N. N. Khoi, W. W. Smeltzer, and J. D. Embury,Oxidation Metals 3, 463 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.N. F. Mott and R. W. Gurney,Electronic Processes in Ionic Crystals (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1948).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Madeyski, D. J. Poulton, and W. W. Smeltzer,Acta Met. 17, 579 (1969).Google Scholar
- 11.W. W. Smeltzer,Oxidation of Metals and Alloys, ASM monograph (1971), p. 115.Google Scholar
- 12.K. R. Lawless, F. W. Young, Jr., and A. T. Gwathmey,J. Chim. Phys. 53, 667 (1956).Google Scholar