Successful treatment of neonatal aneurysmal dilatation of the vein of Galen: the role of prenatal diagnosis and trans-arterial embolization
- 50 Downloads
We report a neonate with aneurysmal dilatation of the vein of Galen diagnosed prenatally by color Doppler sonography and MRI at 37 weeks' gestation. The child was treated by transarterial embolization of microcoils 2 and 8 days after birth. The aneurysmal dilatation of the vein of Galen markedly decreased after embolization and the patient is developing normally at 2 years 5 months of age. Prenatal diagnosis and early intervention by transarterial embolization produced in a good outcome in this patient.
Key wordsAneurysmal dilatation of the vein of Galen Prenatal diagnosis Color Doppler sonography Magnetic resonance imaging Transarterial embolization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnston IH, Whittle IR, Besser M, Morgan MK (1987) Vein of Galen malformation: diagnosis and management. Neurosurgery 20:747–758Google Scholar
- 2.Hirsch JH, Cyr D, Eberhardt H, Zunkel D (1983) Ultrasonographic diagnosis of an aneurysm of the vein of Galen in utero by duplex scanning. J Ultrasound Med 2:231–233Google Scholar
- 3.Reiter AA, Huhta JC, Carpenter RJ, Segall GK, Hawkins EP (1986) Prenatal diagnosis of arteriovenous malformation of the vein of Galen. J Clin Ultrasound 14:623–628Google Scholar
- 4.Rizzo G, Arduini D, Colosimo C, Boccolini MR, Mancuso S (1987) Abnormal fetal cerebral blood flow velocity waveforms as a sign of an aneurysm of the vein of Galen. Fetal Ther 2:75–79Google Scholar
- 5.Ishimatsu J, Yoshimura O, Tetsuou M, Hamada T (1991) Evaluation of an aneurysm of the vein of Galen in utero by pulsed and color Doppler ultrasonography. Am J Obstet Gynecol 164:743–744Google Scholar
- 6.McCord FB, Shields MD, McNeil A, Halliday HL, McClure G, Reid MM (1987) Cerebral arteriovenous malformation in a neonate: treatment by embolisation. Arch Dis Child 62:1273–1275Google Scholar
- 7.Vaksmann G, Decoulx E, Mauran P, Jardin M, Rey C, Dupuis C (1989) Evaluation of vein of Galen arteriovenous malformation in newborns by two dimensional ultrasound, pulsed and color Doppler method. Eur J Pediatr 148:510–512Google Scholar
- 8.Yamashita Y, Nakamura Y, Okudera T, Nishiyori A, Mikashima T, Yamaga H, Matsuishi T, Kato H (1990) Neuroradiological and pathological studies on neonatal aneurysmal dilation of the vein of Galen. J Child Neurol 5:45–48Google Scholar
- 9.Roosen N, Schirmer M, Lins E, Bock WJ, Stock W, Gahlen D (1986) MRI of an aneurysm of the vein of Galen. AJNR 7:733–735Google Scholar
- 10.Lasjaunias P, Rodesch G, Pruvost P, Laroche FG, Landrieu P (1989) Treatment of vein of Galen aneurysmal malformation. J Neurosurg 70:746–750Google Scholar