Observations from the 12 October 1992 Dahshour earthquake in Egypt
- 221 Downloads
An earthquake of local magnitude 5.3 (duration magnitudeM d ) on the Richter Scale occurred at Dahshour, 18 km south of Cairo, Egypt, on Monday, 12 October 1992 at 3:09 pm (local time). Numerous aftershocks followed the main event during the following weeks with magnitude up to 4.3. The earthquake occurred in an area that has had no recent seismic activity, and affected many cities in Egypt. Many buildings and monuments were severely damaged or collapsed. Modern concrete skeletal structures suffered minor nonstructural damage. Earthquake physical damage was estimated at about one billion U.S. Dollars. The severity of the damage was mainly due to poor construction materials and detailing, aging, inferior workmanship, and inadequate maintenance. Egypt was generally considered to be an area of moderate seismic activity. In 1989, earthquake provisions were first introduced in the Egyptian Code of Practice for Reinforced Concrete Structures only. The earthquake clearly showed the urgent need for an assessment and rehabilitation program to mitigate seismic risk hazard in existing structures. In addition, future development planning, and earthquake preparedness strategies should implement lessons learned from the event. In this paper, an overview discussion about the observations from the 12 October earthquake is presented.
Key wordsSeismic risk Dahshour earthquake Egypt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Badawi, H. S.: 1991, High earthquake risk buildings in Egypt,Internat. Sympos. Geophysical Hazards in Developing Countries and their Environmental Impacts, Perugia, Italy, August 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.Bolt, B. A.: 1988,Earthquakes, W. H. Freeman, New York, pp. 147–150.Google Scholar
- 3.Kebeasy, R. M. and Albert, R. N.: 1976, Investigation of the seismo-tectonic nature of the Middle East region,Helwan Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics Bulletin, No. 126.Google Scholar
- 4.Maamoun, M., Megahed, A., and Allam, A.: 1984, Seismicity of Egypt,Helwan Institute of Astronomy and Geophysics Bulletin, Vol. IV, Ser. B, pp. 109–162.Google Scholar
- 5.Ministry of Development, New Communities, Housing and Utilities: 1989,Egyptian Code of Practice for Design and Execution of Reinforced Concrete Constructions.Google Scholar
- 6.Said, R. (ed.): 1990,The Geology of Egypt, Balkema, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- 7.U.S.G.S.: 1992,Reconnaissance Report on the 12 October 1992 Dahshour, Egypt, Earthquake, U.S. Geological Survey.Google Scholar