The compressive strength of a new ureaformaldehyde-based polymer concrete
- 107 Downloads
Standard test specimens of ureaformaldehyde-based polymer concrete (PC) prepared with various amounts of ureaformaldehyde (UF) resin and cured at temperatures in the range 90 to 150 ° C for periods up to 21 d were tested in compression. The PC having a resin content of 8% and cured at 110 ° C for about 7 d, developed an ultimate compressive strength of 37 M Pa. The strength values of PC specimens are compared with those of Portland cement concrete (PCC) specimens prepared with different water/cement ratios and mix proportions. For certain mixes the compressive strength of PCC is surpassed by that of PC having a similar binder content and comparable workability.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“Polymer Concrete: Uses, Materials, and Properties”, SP-89 (American Concrete Institute, Detroit, 1985), 352 pp.Google Scholar
- 2.T. M. Aminabhavi, R. C. Patel andN. S. Biradar,Polym. Engng Sci. 21 (16) (1981) 1085.Google Scholar
- 3.AGI Committee 548 Report,ACI J. Proc. V 83 (5) (1986) 798.Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Sytnik et al., Plast. Massy 6 (1982) in Russian.Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. Manson, “Overview of Current Research on Polymer Concrete: Materials and Future Needs”, SP-69 on Applications of Polymer Concrete (ACI, 1981) pp. 1–17.Google Scholar
- 6.D. W. M. Fowler andG. W. Depuy, “Concrete Polymer Materials Development in the United State”, at 1st Australian Conference on Engineering Materials, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.A. R. Seymour (ed.), “Plastic Mortars, Sealants and Caulking Compounds” (ACS Symposium Series, 113, 1979).Google Scholar
- 8.U.S. Department of Commerce, National Technical Information Service, “Urea Formaldehyde in Building Materials — Citations from the Rubber and Plastics Research Association Database (1973-Nov. 84)”, No. PB 85-850782 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Alp, A. A. Alzaydi andS. A. Shihata,J. Plastics and Rubber Processing and Appli. (in press).Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Alzaydi, T. Alp andS. A. Shihata, King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Research Report No. AR-5-033/4, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1987) 124 pp.Google Scholar
- 11.J. M. J. Estevez,Plast. Inst. Trans. 33 (105) (1965) 89.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Fuzzard,Brit. Plast. Mod. 28 (5) (1955) 192.Google Scholar