Effect of water vapor and nitrogen oxides upon the ozone layer
- 45 Downloads
A theoretical meridional model of the O3 layer is presented. Two-dimensional transport by eddies and mean motion is considered together with photochemical reactions involving O, N, and H. The model is used to evaluate the effect of increased contents of H2O and NOx in the stratosphere. It is found that a doubling of stratospheric humidity will reduce the total amount of O3 by less than 1 %, while a doubling of NOx will result in an 18 % reduction for middle latitudes and summer. A 10 % increase in NOx will reduce the total O3 by about 2.8%. The relations between UV radiation and total O3 are described, in particular, for wavelengths of biological interest (290 to 320 nm). A 1% decrease in total O3 will result in a 2 % increase in erythemogenic UV radiation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackerman, M.: 1971, inMesospheric Models and Related Experiments (ed. by G. Fiocco), D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, Holland, p. 149.Google Scholar
- Ackerman, M. and Muller, C.: 1972,Aeronomica Acta, A-No.106.Google Scholar
- Cole, A. E., Court, A., and Kantor, A. J.: 1965,Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environments, (ed. by S. L. Valley), Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories, Bedford, Mass.Google Scholar
- Crutzen, P. J.: 1970,Quarterly J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc. 96, 320.Google Scholar
- Gudiksen, P. H., Fairhall, A. W., and Reed, R. J.: 1968,J. Geophys. Res. 73, 4461.Google Scholar
- Hesstvedt, E.: 1971,Proceedings of the Second Course of the International School of Atmospheric Physics, Erice (Italy), June 13–27, 1971 (ed. by F. Verniani).Google Scholar
- Johnston, H.: 1971,Science 173, 517.Google Scholar
- Nicolet, M.: 1970,Aeronomica Acta, A-No.79.Google Scholar
- Prabhakara, C.: 1963,Monthly Weather Rev. 91, 411.Google Scholar
- Reed, R. J. and German, K. E.: 1965,Monthly Weather Rev. 93, 313.Google Scholar
- Urbach, F.: 1969,The Biologic Effects of Ultraviolet Radiation (ed. by F. Urbach), Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar