Reaction of the lactone ring of diffugenin
- 24 Downloads
Under the influence of caustic alkalies, diffugenin (14-anhydrostrophanthidin) undergoes a complex irreversible change with the opening of the butenolide ring. The main product is a γ-hydroxy-γ-lactone (lactol)-the stable tautomeric form of a γ-aldehydo acid. The existence of aldo-lactol tautomerism is confirmed by the preparation of derivatives of the α and Ω forms. The hypothesis has been put forward that the double bond at C14 in diffugenin and its derivatives readily undergoes autoxidation with the formation of epoxy compounds.
KeywordsLactone Potassium Salt Concentrate Sulfuric Acid Lactone Ring Epoxy Compound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ch. Tamm. Fortschritte der Chemie organischer Naturstoffe, XIII, 137, 1956.Google Scholar
- 2.W. A. Jacobs and E. L. Gustus, J. Biol. Chem., 74, 795, 1927.Google Scholar
- 3.G. K. Makarichev and N. K. Abubakirov, ZhOKh, 32, 2372, 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.M. M. Shemyakin, ZhOKh, 13, 290, 1943.Google Scholar
- 6.V. M. Rodionov and A. M. Fedorova, Ber., 59, 2949, 1926.Google Scholar
- 8.M. B. Gorovits, F. S. Khristulas, and N. K. Abubakirov, ZhOKh, 31, 1381, 1961.Google Scholar