A study of the chemical composition of the essential oil ofLedum palustre
- 45 Downloads
Eight substances have been isolated by preparative chromatography on silica gel from the essential oil ofLedum palustre L., collected in the Kostroma oblast in August. Six of them have been described previously for this essential oil (myrcene, palustrol, ledol, allocaromadendrene, 6-methyl-2-methyleneocta-5,7-dien-3-ol, and cyclocolorenone) and two are new substances not described in the literature: a colorless liquid with a pleasant smell having the composition C10H14O2, mp 108–111°C/4 mm Hg, n D 20 1.4925, d 20 20 1.002, [α]D±0°C, which has been called lepalol, and a colorless liquid with a pleasant smell having the composition C10H12O, bp 91–93°C/4 mm Hg, n D 20 1.5175, d 20 20 0.9444, [α]D±0°C, which have been proposed for lepalin and lepalol on the basis of their IR, UV, and NMR spectra. The physical constants of all the substances isolated and the characteristics of their IR, NMR, and mass spectra are given.
KeywordsMass Spectrum Organic Chemistry Physical Constant Myrcene Preparative Chromatography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. P. Kir'yalov, Proceedings of the Botanical Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR [in Russian], Leningrad, Series 5, No. 9 (1961), p. 169.Google Scholar
- 2.N. P. Kir'yalov, Plant Resources of Siberia, the Urals, and the Far East [in Russian], Novosibirsk (1965), p. 187.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Noboru, J. Chem. Soc. Japan,64, 1041 (1963).Google Scholar
- 4.M. von Schantz and R. Hiltunen, Sci. Pharm.,3, 137 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.M. von Schantz, K. H. Widen, and R. Hiltunen, Acta Chem. Scand.,27, 551 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.N. S. Mikhailova, O. A. Konovalova, P. I. Zakharov, and K. S. Rybalko, Khim. Prir. Soedin.,2, 212 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.Determination of the Structures of Organic Compounds by Physical and Chemical Methods [in Russian], Vol. 1, Moscow (1967), p. 59.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Takeda, H. Minato, and J. Horibe, Tetrahedron,19, 2307 (1963).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Goryaev and I. Pliva, Methods of Investigating Essential Oils [in Russian], Alma-Ata (1962), p. 223.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Pliva, M. Horak, B. Herout, and F. Šorm, Die Terpene. Sammlung der Spektren und physikalischene Konstanten, Teil 2, Akademie Verlag, Berlin (1960), p. 201.Google Scholar
- 11.N. P. Kir'yalov, Zh. Obshch. Khim.,20, No. 4, 738 (1950).Google Scholar