The sunlit lunar surface
- 20 Downloads
Certain studies were made of the lunar surface based on measurements at visible and far infrared wavelengths obtained from a scan over the full Moon. The large number of data points available made it possible to refine the albedo statistics over the disk previously described by Sytinskaya (1953). The simultaneous measurements at the two wavelengths provided a factor for converting full Moon photometric brightness to bolometric albedo. The disk-averaged value of this parameter is consistent with previous photometric measurements. The brightness temperature statistics over the disk led to a replacement of the traditional cos1/6θ law of temperature variation over the full Moon by an expression which is linear in cosθ.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hapke, B.: 1966,Astron. J. 71, 333.Google Scholar
- Harris, D. L.: 1961, inPlanets and Satellites (ed. by G. P. Kuiper and B. M. Middlehurst), University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 272–342.Google Scholar
- Lipskii, Y. N. and Shevchenko, V. V.: 1968, Report to the Symposium on Lunar and Planetary Physics, Kiev.Google Scholar
- Pettit, E. and Nicholson, S. B.: 1930,Astrophys. J. 71, 102.Google Scholar
- Rennilson, J. J., Holt, H. E., and Morris, E. C.: 1968,J. Opt. Soc. Am. 58, 747.Google Scholar
- Saari, J. M. and Shorthill, R. W.: 1967, ‘Isothermal and Isophotic Atlas of the Moon’, NASA Contract Report CR-855.Google Scholar
- Shorthill, R. W. and Saari, J. M.: 1965,Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 123, 722.Google Scholar
- Shorthill, R. W., Saari, J. M., Baird, F. E., and LeCompte, J. R.: 1969, ‘Photometric Properties of Selected Lunar Features’, NASA Contractor Report CR-1429.Google Scholar
- Sinton, W. M.: 1962, inPhysics and Astronomy of the Moon (ed. by Z. Kopal), Chap. 11, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Sytinskaya, N. N.: 1953,Astron. Zh. 30, 295.Google Scholar
- deVaucouleurs, G.: 1964,Icarus 3, 187.Google Scholar
- Wattson, R. B. and Danielson, R. E.: 1965,Astrophys. J. 142, 16.Google Scholar