A large scale surface pattern associated with the ejecta blanket and rays of copernicus
- 54 Downloads
Lunar Orbiter photographs of large, fresh rayed craters show that V-shaped features commonly occur on the outer part of the ejecta blanket and on the rays, and are associated with satellitic craters thought to be of secondary impact origin. A description of the form and distribution of the V-features surrounding Copernicus is given. It is concluded that they consist of fragmental debris emplaced by deposition during the formation of Copernicus, either as ‘bow-dunes’ formed by base surge, or as clots of debris thrown out ballistically. The latter explanation is compared with the results of laboratory-scale experimental cratering. Features of this type are considered to be of importance in interpreting the mode of formation of ejecta blankets of certain large lunar craters.
KeywordsOuter Part Surface Pattern Scale Surface Lunar Orbiter Secondary Impact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baldwin, R. B.: 1963,The Measure of the Moon, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Fisher, R. V. and Waters, A. C.: 1969,Science 165, 1352.Google Scholar
- Gault, D. E.: 1970, personal communication.Google Scholar
- Guest, J. E. and Murray, J. B.: 1969:Planetary Space Sci. 17, 121.Google Scholar
- Masursky, H.: 1968, ‘Preliminary Geologic Interpretations of Lunar Orbiter Photography’, in1969 NASA Authorisation, part 3, 664.Google Scholar
- Moore, J. G.: 1967,Bul. Volcan,30, 337.Google Scholar
- Murray, J. B. and Guest, J. E.: 1970,Modern Geology 1, 149.Google Scholar
- O'Keefe, J., Cameron, W. S., and Masursky, H.: 1969, ‘Hypersonic Gas Flow’, inAnalysis of Apollo 8 Photographs and Visual Observations, NASA SP-201, p. 30.Google Scholar
- Schmitt, H. H., Trask, N. J., and Shoemaker, E. M.: 1967, ‘Geology of the Copernicus Quadrangle’,U.S. Geol. Surv. Map I-515 (LAC 58). Google Scholar
- Shoemaker, E. M.: 1962, in Z. Kopal (ed.),Physics and Astronomy of the Moon, Academic Press, New York, Chap. 8.Google Scholar
- Shoemaker, E. M., Batson, R. M., Holt, M. E., Morris, E. C., Rennilson, J. J., and Whitaker, E. A.: 1968, ‘Television Observations from Surveyor VII’, inSurveyor VII: A Preliminary Report, NASA SP-173.Google Scholar