Effect of urapidil on steady-state serum digoxin concentration in healthy subjects
- 15 Downloads
In an open, randomized, two-period change-over study the effect of urapidil, an antihypertensive agent, on steady-state serum digoxin levels was investgated in 12 healthy male volunteers. The subjects were given digoxin 0.25 mg once daily for 4 days to produce a steady-state digoxin level in serum. At the end of that time the subjects received either digoxin monotherapy or digoxin and concomitant treatment with urapidil 60 mg b.d. for a further 4 days. Subsequently the treatments were changed over.
The absorption characteristics Cmax and tmax of digoxin were not altered by concomitant urapidil treatment. The geometric mean and nonparametric 95% confidence limits of digoxin relative bioavailability were 97% (93%–103%).
Therefore, concomitant administration of urapidil with digoxin treatments did not appear to alter the rate and extent of absorption of the glycoside.
Key wordsurapidil digoxin blood drug level pharmacokinetics drug absorption/-interaction
- 1.Amery A (1986) Treatment of hypertension with urapidil. Preclinical and clinical update. Royal Society of Medicine Services, London (International Congress and Symposium Series)Google Scholar
- 2.Gillis RA, Kellar KJ, Quest JA, Manath IJ, Martino-Barrows A, Hill K, Gatti PJ, Dretchen K (1988) Experimental studies on the neurovascular effects of urapidil. Drugs 35 [Suppl 6]: 20–33Google Scholar
- 3.Nieder M, Dilger C, Haerlin R (1985) Quantitation of urapidil and its metabolites in human serum by high performance liquid chromatography. J High Res Chromatogr Commun 8: 224–229Google Scholar
- 4.Buck W (1975) Der Vorzeichen-Rang-Test nach Pratt. Methods Inf Med 14: 224–230Google Scholar
- 5.Steinijans VW, Diletti E (1983) Statistical analysis of bioavailability studies: parametric and nonparametric confidence intervals. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 24: 127–136Google Scholar
- 6.Westlake WJ (1979) Statistical aspects of comparative bioavailability trials. Biometrics 35: 237–280Google Scholar
- 7.Kirsten R, Nelson K, Steinijans VW, Zech K, Haerlin R (1988) Clinical pharmacokinetics of urapidil. Clin Pharmacokinet 14: 129–140Google Scholar