Aspergillosis in desert locust (Schistocerka gregaria Forsk)
- 30 Downloads
Fatal Aspergillus flavus infection of Desert Locust at Field Station for Investigations on Locusts, Bikaner, India, has been described. The infection appeared in the form of pinkish to brownish black patches with hardening of the affected regions, paralysis and twichings of the legs. The fungus was demonstrated in the lesions and was isolated from the diseased parts as well as from the air, floor and walls of the breeding cabin. The cool and humid conditions of the cabin favoured growth of the fungus and the air blasts helped in dissemination of its spores in the air which predisposed the disease. The infection appeared exogenous with the fungus gaining access through surface and invading the deeper tissues. It has often been observed at the Field Station for Investigations on Locusts, Bikaner, India, that the mortility rate of Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria Forst) at times increased to a frustating level preventing the building of a good laboratory stock (5). All the diseased and dying insects showed similar features. Sporadic deaths occured throughout the year and were preceeded by similar signs and symtoms. On 12th May 1975 following a two day dust storm about 40% of the insects in a breeding cabin developed these features and ultimately died. This paper describes investigations under taken at our end to study aetiopathogenesis of this disease.
KeywordsIndia Dust Aspergillus Field Station Aspergillosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abbas, H.M., S.F. Hasan, H. Hag & M. Bashir. 1959. Aspergillus flavus Link. a fungal parasite of Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria Forsk.) Agr. Pakistan. 10: 195–200.Google Scholar
- 2.Balamir, S. & O. Karahan. 1964. Aspergillus flavus Link. mantarinin Col cekirgesi (Schistocerca gregaria Forsk.) nin muhtelif biyolojik devrelerindeki hastalik simptomuve patogen ites uzernde calismalar (A. flavus an parasite of S. gregaria). Bitki Eosuma Bult. 3 (4): 247–256 (In Turkish with English summary).Google Scholar
- 3.Madelin, M.F. 1960. Internal fungal parasites of insects. Endeavour. London. 19: 181–190.Google Scholar
- 4.Misra, A.P. 1952. Aspergillus flavus Link a parasite of Desert Locust (Schistocerca gregaria Forsk) Current Sci. Banglore, 21: 225.Google Scholar
- 5.Venkatesh, M.V., S. C. Harjai & Harrish Chandra 1972. An annotated list of pathogens of the Desert locust (Schistocerca gregaria Forsk.) recorded at Bikaner. United Nations development programme Desert locust project. Progress report No. AGP/DL/TS/11. 1972. Page 92–99. Food & Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.Google Scholar