Evaluation of the presence-absence (P-A) test: A simplified bacteriological test for detecting coliforms in rural drinking water of India
- 120 Downloads
One thousand three-hundred and ninety-four drinking water sources comprising ground water, surface water and piped supplies were tested in order to compare the presence-absence (P-A) test with standard MPN method to detect coliforms as indicators of water quality. Out of 1394 samples, 1074 (77.04%) and 1030 (74.88%) were positive by the MPN and P-A test, respectively. The P-A test detected 96% of the positives detected by the MPN test. The P-A test may be effectively used as a rapid screening method to detect coliform contamination in less polluted sources such as ground water and piped supplies.
KeywordsIndia Water Quality Surface Water Drinking Water Environmental Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- APHA: 1985, Standard Methods For the Examination of Water and Waste water, 16th edn, American Public Health Association, Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Clark, J.A.: 1967, ‘A Presence-Absence (P-A) Test Providing Sensitive and Inexpensive Detection of Coliforms, Fecal Coliforms and Fecal Streptococci in Municipal Drinking Water Supplies’, Can. J. Microbiol. 14, 13–18.Google Scholar
- Clark, J.A.: 1969, ‘The Detection of Various Bacteria Indicative of Water Pollution by a Presence-Absence (P-A) Procedure’, Can. J. Microbiol. 15, 771–780.Google Scholar
- Clark, J.A.: 1980, ‘The Influence of Increase Number of Nonindicator Organisms Upon the Detection of Indicators Organisms by Membrane Filter and Presence-Absence Tests’, Can. J. Microbiol. 26, 827–833.Google Scholar
- Clark, J.A. and Vlassoff, L.T.: 1973, ‘Relationship Among Pollution Indicator Bacteria Isolated From Raw Water and Distribution Systems by the Presence-Absence Test’, Hlth. Lab. Sci. 10, 163–164.Google Scholar
- Dutka, B.J.: 1990, ‘Use of Simple, Inexpensive Microbial Water Quality Tests,’ in Dutka, B.J. and El-Shaarawi, A.H. (Eds.), Results of a Three Continent, Eight Country Research Project, International Development Research Centre, Ontario, Canada, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- Martins, M.T., Myaki, D.M., Pellizari, V.H., Adams, C. and Bossolan, N.R.: 1991, ‘Comparison of the Presence-Absence (P-A) Test and Conventional Methods for Detection of Bacteriological Water Quality Indicators’, Water Res. 25, 1279–1283.Google Scholar
- Pipes, W.O. and Christian, R.D.: 1984, ‘Estimating Mean Coliform Densities of Water Distribution Systems’, J. Am. Water Works Assoc. 76, 60–64.Google Scholar
- Ramteke, P.W., Pathak, S.P. and Bhattacherjee, J.W.: 1990, ‘Bacteriological Pollution of Ground Water in Rural India’, Bhu-Jal News 5, 21–24.Google Scholar
- Ramteke, P.W., Bhattacherjee, J.W., Pathak, S.P. and Kalra, N.: 1992, ‘Evaluation of Coliforms as Indicator of Water Quality in India’, J. Appl. Bacteriol. 72, 352–356.Google Scholar