Water quality index applied to rivers in the Vistula river basin in Poland
- 182 Downloads
A new method of a water quality index has been proposed. The unit indices were determined from the values of individual parameters using continuous functions. The base for such functions were the four water quality classes used in Poland. The summarized WQI is the square root of the harmonic mean of squares of unit indices. Using this mean we have eliminated the use of weights of parameters. Parameters are divided into basic parameters (7) and other additional parameters (19). The additional parameter is considered only if its unit index is lower than WQI from basic parameters. For many measurements at one point the guaranteed WQI has been calculated. The points of WQI were connected and the curves of WQI along the river were obtained.
A method of WQI calculating and preparation of WQI curves has been shown using as an example the Pilica river in Poland. The WQI was then calculated for 31 rivers in the Vistula river basin by measuring points.
KeywordsWater Quality River Basin Continuous Function Environmental Management Quality Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stojda, A. and Dojlido, J.: 1983, ‘A Study on the Water Quality Index in Poland’, WHO. Wat. Qual. Bull. 8(1), 30–32.Google Scholar
- 2.Stojda, A., Dojlido, J. and Woyciechowska, J.: 1983, ‘Evaluation of Water Quality With The Use Of WQI’, (in Polish), Gospodarka Wodna 10.Google Scholar
- 3.Dojlido, J., Woyciechowska, J. and Raniszewski J.: 1991, ‘Water Quality Index (WQI) For Summarized Evaluation of Water pollution’, Conference IMWM Poland/Pennstate USA: Water Resource Management and Water Pollution Control. Perspectives from Poland and the United States; Warsaw, 23–25 September.Google Scholar
- 4.Disposition of Ministry Council from 14 December 1987 concerning classification of waters and conditions for wastewaters discharged to waters and soil, and fines for offence against these regulations (in Polish). Dziennik Ustaw No. 42, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Disposition of Minister of Environment from 5 November 1991 concerning classification of waters and conditions for wastewaters discharged to waters or soil, Dziennik Ustaw No. 116, 1991.Google Scholar