Effect of Al2O3 particles on the growth kinetics of molybdenum grains in liquid nickel
- 38 Downloads
Grain growth inhibition by inert third phase particles during liquid phase sintering has been investigated in Mo-Ni alloys containing Al2O3 particles sintered at 1460° C. The grain growth is inhibited slightly by the Al2O3 particles, and this result is explained in terms of the shielding of material precipitation at the contact area and of the suppression of material precipitation around the contact area, which is determined by the dihedral angle between the molybdenum grain and the Al2O3 particle. The result is compared to those obtained earlier with specimens containing highly soluble third phase particles.
KeywordsMolybdenum Dihedral Angle Phase Particle Liquid Phase Sinter Sinter Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. S. Smith, Trans. AIME 175 (1948) 15.Google Scholar
- 2.O. K. Riegger, G. I. Madden and L. H. Van Vlack, ibid. 227 (1963) 971.Google Scholar
- 3.J. White, in “Ceramic Microstructures”, edited by R. M. Fulrath and J. A. Pask (John Wiley, New York, 1968) p. 728.Google Scholar
- 4.I. M. Stephenson and J. White, Trans. Brit. Ceram. Soc. 66 (1967) 443.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Warren, Planseeberichte für Pulvermetallurgie 20 (1972) 299.Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. Dromsky, F. V. Lenel and G. S. Ansell, Metall. Trans. AIME 224 (1962) 236.Google Scholar
- 7.S. -J. L. Kang, W. A. Kaysser, G. Petzow and D. N. Yoon, Acta Metall. 33 (1985) in press.Google Scholar
- 10.S. -J. L. Kang, Y. D. Song, W. A. Kaysser and H. Hofmann, Z. Metallkde 75 (1984) 82.Google Scholar
- 13.S. -J. L. Kang, W. A. Kaysser, G. Petzow and D. N. Yoon, in “Sintered Metal-Ceramic Composites”, edited by G. S. Upadhyaya (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1984) p. 293.Google Scholar
- 14.H. H. Park, MS Thesis, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul (1982).Google Scholar