Modelling of the effects of porosity and particle size on the steady-state wave velocity in combustion synthesis
- 49 Downloads
A simple model has been developed for steady-state combustion wave velocity which takes into account the effects of porosity, pore size and powder particle size. This model uses a unit-cell approximation for a characteristic porous compact geometry and also a description of heterogeneous reaction is utilized as an approximation to explicitly include the effect of particle size. Parametric studies indicate that as the porosity increases the combustion propagation rate decreases. It is also inferred that the pore size plays an important role in this behaviour and it can even reverse this trend at high values of pore size. As observed in combustion experiments, the model also correctly predicts the increase in combustion velocity with decreasing particle size.
KeywordsParticle Size Combustion Porosity Pore Size Wave Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. G. Merzhanov and I. P. Borovinskaya, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR (English translation) 204 (1972) 429.Google Scholar
- 2.N. P. Novikov, I. P. Borovinskaya and A. G. Merzhanov, in “Combustion Process in Chemical Technology and Metallurgy”, edited by A. G. Merzhanov (Akad. Nauk SSSR, USSR, 1975).Google Scholar
- 3.B. V. Novozhilov, Dokl. Acad. Sci. USSR, Phys. Chem. (English translation) 141 (1961) 151.Google Scholar
- 7.Z. A. Munir, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull.67 (1988) 342.Google Scholar
- 8.W. L. Frankhauser, K. W. Brendly, M. C. Kieszek and S. T. Sullivan, “Gasless Combustion Synthesis of Refractory Compounds” (Noyes Publications, New Jersey, 1985).Google Scholar
- 11.B. V. Novozhilov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR144 (1962) 1328.Google Scholar
- 13.R. W. Rice, G. Y. Richardson, J. M. Kunetz, T. Schroeter and W. J. McDonough, Ceram. Engng Sci. Proc.7 (1986) 736.Google Scholar
- 17.H. H. Hausner (ed.), “Modern Developments in Powder Metallurgy” (Plenum Press, New York, 1966) p. 183.Google Scholar
- 21.A. K. Bhattacharya, Unpublished work (1990).Google Scholar