Protective effect of saikosaponin-d isolated from Bupleurum falcatum L. on CCl4-induced liver injury in the rat
- 153 Downloads
The effects of saikosaponin-d extracted from the roots of Bupleurum falcatum L. on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic injury were studied in rats. Pretreatment with saikosaponin-d produced a remarkable inhibitory action on acute hepatic injury by CCl4. A significant inhibition of lipid peroxidation induced by an acute dose of CCl4 in the liver of rats pre-treated with saikosaponin-d was also noted.
Continuous injection of CCl4 caused liver cirrhosis in rats but the severity of cirrhosis was reduced in rats treated simultaneously with CCl4 and saikosaponin-d.
Key wordsCarbon tetrachloride Lipid peroxide Liver cirrhosis Saikosaponin Bupleurum falcatum L.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abe H, Sakaguchi M, Yamada M, Arichi S, Odashima S (1980) Pharmacological actions of saikosaponin isolated from Bupleurum falcatum L. Effects of saikosaponins on liver function. Planta Med 40:366–372Google Scholar
- Abe H, Sakaguchi M, Anno M, Arichi S (1981) Erythrocyte membrane stabilization by plant saponins and sapogenins. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's A Arch Pharmacol 316:262–265Google Scholar
- Castro JA, De Ferreyra EC, De Castro CR, De Fenos OM, Diaz Gomez MI, Gram TE, Regan RI, Guarino AM (1977) Studies on the role of protein synthesis in cell injury by toxic agents. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 41:305–320Google Scholar
- Ishii H, Nakamura M, Seo S, Tori K, Tozyo T, Yoshimura Y (1980) Isolation, characterization and nuclear magnetic resonance spectra of new saponins from the roots of Bupleurum falcatum L. Chem Pharmacol Bull 28:2367–2383Google Scholar
- Koff RS, Connelly LJD (1976) Modification of the hepatotoxicity of D-galactosamine in the rats by cycloheximide. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 151:519–522Google Scholar
- Kubota T, Tonami F (1967) Triterpenoids from Bupleurum falcatum L. II. Isolation of saikogenin B and longispinogen. Tetrahedron 23:3333–3362Google Scholar
- Kubota T, Hinoh H (1968) The construction of saponins isolated from Bupreurum falcatum L. Tetrahedron Lett 303–306Google Scholar
- Lowry DH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193:265–275Google Scholar
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979) Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 95:351–358Google Scholar
- Popper H (1975) Morphologic features of hepatocellular necrosis in human diseases. In: Keppler D (ed) Pathogenesis and mechanism of liver cell necrosis. MTP press Ltd., St. Leonard House, Lancester, pp 15–24Google Scholar
- Recknagel RO (1967) Carbon tetrachloride hepatotoxicity. Pharmacol Rev 11:145–208Google Scholar
- Shimaoka A, Seo S, Minato H (1975) Saponins isolated from Bupleurum falcatum L. Components of saikosaponin b. J Chem Soc Perkin 1:2043Google Scholar
- Slater TF (1966) Necrogenic action of carbon tetrachloride in the rat. A speculative mechanism based on activation. Nature (London) 209:36–40Google Scholar
- Takagi K, Shibata M (1969) Pharmacological studies on Bupleurum falcatum L. II. Antiinflammatory and other pharmacological actions of crude saikosides. Yakugaku Zasshi 89:1367–1378Google Scholar
- Yamamoto M, Kumagai A, Yamamura Y (1975) Structure and actions of saikosaponins isolated from Bupleurum falcatum L. 1. Antiinflammatory action of saikosaponins. Arzneim Forsch (Drug Res) 25:1021–1023Google Scholar