Enniatin production by Fusarium oxysporum in chemically defined media
- 115 Downloads
Production of the depsipeptide antibiotic enniatin was studied in submerged cultures of Fusarium oxysporum. The influence of various nutritional factors on growth and enniatin production was investigated. Sucrose and glucose were suitable carbon sources, NaNO3 was the best nitrogen source with respect to growth and production. Enniatin yields up to 2.5 g/l were achieved within 4 days of cultivation of a variant obtained after two subsequent mutagenic treatments. Addition of several amino acids to producing cultures enhanced product formation up to 5 g/l. External supply of the branched-chain amino acids, valine, leucine, and isoleucine triggered an increased formation of the corresponding enniatin homologues which contain the amino acid fed as a constituent.
KeywordsLeucine Nitrogen Source Fusarium Valine NaNO3
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Audhya TK, Russell DW (1973a) Production of enniatin A. Can J Microbiol 19: 1051–1054Google Scholar
- Audhya TK, Russell DW (1973b) Spectrophotometric determination of enniatin A and valinomycin in fungal extracts by ion complexation. Anal Lett 6: 265–274Google Scholar
- Audhya TK, Russell DW (1974) Production of enniatins by Fusarium sambucinum: Selection of high-yield conditions from liquid surface cultures. J Gen Microbiol 82: 181–190Google Scholar
- Audhya TK, Russell DW (1975) Enniatin production by Fusarium sambucinum: Primary, secondary, and unitary metabolism. J Gen Microbiol 86: 327–331Google Scholar
- Martin JF, Demain AL (1980) Control of antibiotic biosynthesis. Microbiol Rev 44: 230–251Google Scholar
- Minasyan AE, Cherminskii DN, Ellanskaya IA (1978) Synthesis of enniatin B by Fusarium sambucinum. Mikrobiologiya 47: 67–71Google Scholar
- Plattner PA, Nager U, Boller A (1948) 89. Welkstoffe und Antibiotika. 7. Mitteilung. Über die Isolierung neuartiger Antibiotika aus Fusarien. Helv Chim Acta 31: 594–602Google Scholar
- Simon-Lavoine N, Forgeot M (1979) Biologisches Peptolidpräparat, Verfahren zu seiner Herstellung und dieses Präparat enthaltende Arzneimittel. German Patent 2851629Google Scholar
- Wipf HK, Pioda LAR, Stefanac Z, Simon W (1968) Komplexe von Enniatinen und anderen Antibiotika mit Alkalimetall-Ionen. Helv Chim Acta 31:377–381Google Scholar
- Zocher R, Kleinkauf H (1978) Biosynthesis of enniatin B: Partial purification and characterization of the synthesizing enzyme and studies of the biosynthesis. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 81:1162–1167Google Scholar
- Zocher R, Keller U, Kleinkauf H (1982) Enniatin synthetase, a novel type of multifunctional enzyme catalyzing depsipeptide synthesis in Fusarium oxysporum. Biochemistry 21:43–48Google Scholar