Modified sol-gel films for optical storage
- 50 Downloads
Substituted azobenzene molecules (DR1, DO3, DR17, DY7, Magneson1, DR19C1 and DR19CICI) are grafted onto a silicon alkoxide precursor. Films are prepared by the sol-gel process. We have conducted preliminary optical experiments with DR1 and DO3 functionalized oxide gels. Optical information is written on the sol-gel film via the trans-cis-trans photoisomerization process with a polarized argon laser beam and read with a low power He-Ne laser. A stable signal (up to 60% of the maximum birefringence) is read a long time after the writing beam had been turned off. This shows the ability of the azo oxide gels to store optical information.
Keywordsazooxide gel photoisomerization birefringence functionalized alkoxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Todorov, T., Tomova, N., and Nikolova, L., Opt. Comm. 47 (2), 123 (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.Lückemeyer, T. and Franke, H., Appl. Phys. Lett. 53 (21), 2017 (1988).Google Scholar
- 3.Dumont, M. and Sekkat, Z., SPIE Proc. Ser. 1774, 188 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.Xie, S., Natansohn, A., and Rochon, P., Chem. Mater. 5 (4), 403 (1993).Google Scholar
- 5.Chaput, F., Riehl, D., Levy, Y., and Boilot, J.P., Chem. Mater. 5 (5), 589 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.Sekkat, Z., Thesis, Université de Paris-Sud, Orsay (1992).Google Scholar