Trends in wet and dry deposition of sulphur in the United Kingdom
- 77 Downloads
UK data on sulphur deposition trends between the 1960's and 1990's are presented. Long term data sets of sulphur dioxide (SO2) concentrations at two sites have been analysed and dry deposition determined using a resistance model. Wet deposition has been calculated from non-marine sulphate concentration and rainfall fields for 1978–80 and 1989–93. These maps have been interpolated and corrected for seeder feeder enhancement. The wet deposition of sulphur declined by about 43 % between 1979 and 1993 whereas emissions of sulphur declined by about 32 %. An indication of the trends in sulphur dry deposition is provided by data from Eskdalemuir, a site in southern Scotland where wet deposition and SO2 concentration have been measured since 1979. Dry deposition at Eskdalemuir has decreased by 70 % and wet deposition by 48 %. Hence, while wet deposition has responded approximately linearly with the decline in UK emissions of sulphur dioxide, dry deposition has declined at twice the rate of decline in UK emissions.
Key wordsUnited Kingdom sulphur deposition trends
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Campbell G.W., Stedman J.R., Downing C.E.H., Vincent K.J., Hasler S.E. and Davies M 1994. Acid Deposition in the United Kingdom: Data report 1993. AEA Technology: Culham Laboratory, AEA/CS/16419029/001.Google Scholar
- Digest of Environmental Statistics. Number 17 1995. HMSO 0171 873 9090. ISBN 0-11-752420-4.Google Scholar
- Downing C.E.H. and Campbell G.W. 1995 Rural sulphur dioxide concentrations in the United Kingdom: 1992. AEA Technology: Culham Laboratory, AEA/CS/18325068/01.Google Scholar
- Fowler D., Cape J.N., Leith I.D., Choularton T.W., Gay M. J. and Jones A. 1988, Atmospheric. Environment. 22, 1355–62Google Scholar
- Fowler D., Duyzer J.H. and Baldocchi D.D. 1991 Inputs of trace gases, particles and cloud droplets to terrestrial surfaces. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 97B, pp36–59.Google Scholar
- Fricke W. and Beilke 1992. Environmental Pollution. 75, 121–127.Google Scholar
- Monteith J.L. and Unsworth M.H. 1990 Principles of Environmental Physics 2nd edn.Edward Arnold, London. ISBN 0-7131-2931-X.Google Scholar
- RGAR1983. Acid deposition in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom Review Group on Acid Rain, Warren Spring Laboratory, Stevenage.Google Scholar
- Webster R., Campbell G.W. and Irwin J. G. 1991, Environmental. Monitoring and Assessment 16, 1–17Google Scholar