Plasma exchange and leukapheresis in psoriasis — no effect?
- 29 Downloads
Nine patients with severe or therapy-resistant psoriasis were treated by plasma exchanges or leukapheresis; one received both treatments in succession. None of the patients showed convincing signs of improvement. We therefore conclude that there is little evidence for the existence of a “psoriasis factor”, the removal of which, it has been suggested, would explain the beneficial effects of dialysis. Nor is there anything to indicate that the removal of large numbers of leukocytes would bring about healing.
Key wordsPsoriasis Plasma exchange Plasma pheresis Leukapheresis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson PC (1981) Dialysis treatment of psoriasis. Arch Dermatol 117:67–68Google Scholar
- 2.Buselmeier TJ (1978) Dialysis and psoriasis. Ann Intern Med 88:842Google Scholar
- 3.Chugh KS, Nath IVS, Bedi TR, Pareek SK (1978) Dialysis and psoriasis. Ann Intern Med 88:842–843Google Scholar
- 4.Clemmensen OJ, Andresen R, Andersen E (1983) Plasmapheresis in the treatment of psoriasis. A controlled clinical study. J Am Acad Dermatol 8:190–192Google Scholar
- 5.Glinski W, Jablonska S, Imiela J, Nosarzewski J, Jarzabek-Chorzelska M, Haftek M, Obalek S (1979) Continuous peritoneal dialysis for treatment of psoriasis. Arch Dermatol Res 265:337–341Google Scholar
- 6.Glinski W, Zarebska Z, Jablonska S, Imiela J, Nosarzewski J (1980) The activity of polymorphonuclear leukocyte neutral proteinases and their inhibitors in patients with psoriasis treated with a continous peritoneal dialysis. J Invest Dermatol 75:481–487Google Scholar
- 7.Glinski W, Jablonska S, Imiela J, Daszynski J (1985) Peritonealdialyse und Leukopherese bei Psoriasis: Indikation und Kontraindikation. Hautarzt 36:16–19Google Scholar
- 8.Kramer P, Brunner FP, Brynger H, Chantler C, Donckerwolcke RA, Jacobs C, Selwood NH, Wing AJ (1982) Dialysis treatment and psoriasis in Europe. Clin Neph 18:62–68Google Scholar
- 9.Miller LH (1980) NIH Psoriasis/Dialysis Workshop Highlights — April 23, 1979. J Invest Dermatol 74:242–243Google Scholar
- 10.Nissenson AR, Rapaport M, Gordon A, Narins RG (1979) Hemodialysis in the treatment of psoriasis. A controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 91:218–220Google Scholar
- 11.Rakhmanov VA, Potekaev NS, Sorokina MI, Cilingradi EK, Konstantinov NI (1967) Trials with haemodialysis in the treatment of some chronic dermatoses (in Russian). Sov Med 30:23 (quoted in )Google Scholar
- 12.Rietschel RL, Hupman AJ, Dobes WL Jr, Vogler WR, Mallard G, Rudman D (1981) Plasma exchange, leukapheresis in psoriasis. In: Farber EM, Cox AJ (eds) Psoriasis. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium, Stanford University, 1981. Grune and Stratton, New York, pp 321–322Google Scholar
- 13.Schuster R, Lenzhofer R, Raff M (1985) Plasmapheresis in the management of psoriasis. Arch Dermatol Res 277:330–331Google Scholar
- 14.Shimkus EM, Malygrina IA, Kalenkovich NI (1970) Amelioration of psoriasis by haemodialysis (in Russian). Vestn Dermatol Venerol 44:69 (quoted in )Google Scholar
- 15.Ts'ao C, Ruder EA (1976) Ultrastructural damage of leukocytes procured by the Leukopak: vulnerability of leukocytes to mechanical injury. Transfusion 16:336–344Google Scholar
- 16.Twardowski ZJ (1977) Abatement of psoriasis and repeated dialysis. Ann Intern Med 86:509–510Google Scholar
- 17.Twardowski ZJ, Nolph KD, Rubin J, Anderson PC (1978) Peritoneal dialysis for psoriasis. An uncontrolled study. Ann Intern Med 88:349–351Google Scholar
- 18.Wilson LM (1978) Dialysis and psoriasis. Ann Intern Med 88:842Google Scholar