Epilepsy and associated handicaps in a 1 year birth cohort in Northern Finland
- 28 Downloads
A 1 year birth cohort in the provinces of Oulu and Lapland in the Northern part of Finland consisted of 12058 live-born infants, this being 96% of all children born in 1966 in this area. Information on morbidity up to the age of 14 years was collected prospectively by means of questionnaires, special examinations and from national and regional registers of hospital adminissions and social services contacts.
The total number of children with epilepsy, defined as the occurrence of at least one afebrile epileptic seizure, was 208, 113 boys and 95 girls. The cumulative incidences for epilepsy to the age of 14 years was 17.3 per 1000. Primary generalised epilepsy was present in 63% and partial seizures in 37%.
At least one additional handicapping condition, such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, and visual or auditory defect was present in 74 children (35.5%). Mental retardation was the most frequent additional handicap, being present in 28%, whereas 16% of the children had cerebral palsy. A total of 75% of the children were able to attend an ordinary school. The high frequency of epilepsy in this study, as compared to other studies, is explained by the cumulative registration of the cases and a high degree of ascertainment of cases with epilepsy.
Key wordsEpilepsy Handicap Childhood Cohort
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cavazzutti GB (1980) Epidemiology of different types of epilepsy in school age children of Modena, Italy. Epilepsia 21:57–62Google Scholar
- 2.Chiofalo N, Kirschbaum A, Fuentes A, Gordero MI, Madsen J (1979) Prevalence of epilepsy in children of Melipilla, Chile. Epilepsia 20:261–266Google Scholar
- 3.O'Donohue NV (1981) Epilepsies in childhood. Postgraduate Paediatrics Series, Butterworths, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Doose H, Sitepu B (1983) Childhood epilepsy in a German city. Neuropediatrics 14:220–224Google Scholar
- 5.Gastaut H (1970) Clinical and electroencephalographical classification of epileptic seizures. Epilepsia 11:102–113Google Scholar
- 6.Hagberg G, Hansson O (1976) Childhood seizures. Lancet II:208Google Scholar
- 7.Leviton A, Cowan LD (1981) Methodological issues in the epidemiology of seizure disorders in children. Epidemiol Rev 3:67–89Google Scholar
- 8.Pazzaglia P, Frank-Pazzaglia L (1976) Records in grade school of pupils with epilepsy: an epidemiological study. Epilepsia 17:361–366Google Scholar
- 9.Rantakallio P (1969) Groups at risk in low birth weight infants and perinatal mortality. Acta Paediatr Scand [Suppl] 193:1–71Google Scholar
- 10.Rantakallio P (1973) The assessment of small-for-date infants and associated socio-biological factors. Ann Chir Gynaec Fenn 62 [Suppl] 184:1–47Google Scholar
- 11.Rantakallio P, Mäkinen H (1983) The effect of maternal smoking on the timing of deciduous teeth eruption. Growth 47:122–128Google Scholar
- 12.Rantakallio P, von Wendt L (1985) Prognosis of low birth weight infants up to the age of 14—a prospective study. Dev Med Child Neurol (in press)Google Scholar
- 13.Riikonen R (1984) Infantile spasms: Modern practical aspects. Acta Paediatr Scand 73:1–12Google Scholar
- 14.Riikonen R, Donner M (1979) Incidence and etiology of infantile spasms from 1960 to 1967, a population study. Dev Med Child Neurol 21:333–343Google Scholar
- 15.Ross EM, Peckham CS, West PB, Butler NR (1980) Epilepsy in childhood: Findings from the National Child Development Study. Br J Med 280:207–210Google Scholar
- 16.Ross EM, Kurtz Z, Peckham CS (1983) Children with epilepsy: implications for school health services. Public Health 97:75–81Google Scholar
- 17.Rutter M, Graham P, Yule W (1970) A neuropsychiatric study in childhood. Clin Dev Med No. 35/36, Spastics International Med PublGoogle Scholar
- 18.Sillanpää M (1973) Medico-social prognosis of children with epilepsy. Acta Paediatr Scand [Suppl] 237:1–104Google Scholar
- 19.Tsuboi T (1984) Epidemiology of febrile and afebrile convulsions in children in Japan. Neurology 34:175–181Google Scholar
- 20.v. Wendt L, Mäkinen H, Rantakallio P (1985) Psychomotor development in the first year and mental retardation—a prospective study. J Ment Defic Res (in press)Google Scholar
- 21.v. Wendt L, Rantakallio P, Saukkonen A-L, Tuisku M, Mäkinen H (1985) Cerebral palsy and additional handicaps in a one-year birth cohort of Northern Finland—a prospective follow-up study to the age of 14 years. Ann Clin Res (in press)Google Scholar