Lacrimal gland accumulation of 67Ga-citrate in patients with Sjögren's syndrome
- 23 Downloads
The extent of 67Ga accumulation in the two lacrimal glands in patients with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) of Sjögren's syndrome was studied. Of the two main groups one consisted of 69 subjects without ophthalmic complaints (control group), the other consisted of 26 patients with KCS of Sjögren's syndrome. Of the 26 patients with KCS, 7 had been diagnosed as probable KCS (probable sub-group) and the other 19 had been diagnosed definite KCS (definite sub-group). About 3 mCi (111 MBq) 67Ga-citrate was injected IV into each subject and this was followed by scintigraphy at 24, 48, and 72 h after the injection of 67Ga. A positive finding in the lacrimal gland was noted in 64 of 69 subjects (92.7%) in the control group and in 7 of 7 patients (92.7%) in the control group and in 7 of 7 patients (100%) with probable KCS. Three of 19 patients with definite KCS (15.7%) showed positive findings under scintigraphy. When the scintigraphic finding in the lacrimal gland is not positive in patients with suspected KCS of Sjögren's syndrome, they can then be diagnosed with little risk as definite KCS cases. Shirmer's test was performed on subjects in the probable and definite groups. There was statistical significance between the positive and equivocal or negative scintigraphic finding and Schirmer's values. These results suggest a correlation between gallium accumulation in the lacrimal gland and the tear production.
KeywordsPublic Health Nuclear Medicine Gallium Main Group Positive Finding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duke-Elder SS, MacFaul PA (1974) System of ophthalmology Vol. XIII The ocular adnexa. Henry Kimpton. London, pp 626–635Google Scholar
- Edwards CL, Hayes RL (1969) Tumor scanning with 67Ga citrate. J Nucl Med 10:103–105Google Scholar
- Hoffer P (1980) Gallium: Mechanism. J Nucl Med 21:282–285Google Scholar
- Larson SM (1978) Mechanisms of localization of gallium-67 in tumors. Semin Nucl Med 8:193–204Google Scholar
- Larson SM, Milder MS, Johnston GS (1972) Interpretation of the Ga-67 photoscan. J Nucl Med 14:208–213Google Scholar
- Mishkin FS, Maynard WP (1973) Lacrimal gland accumulation of Ga-67. J Nucl Med 15:630–631Google Scholar
- Ofuji T (1977) Diagnostic criteria of Sjögren's disease. Annual Reports of the Ministry of Health and Welfare. Sjögren's Disease Research Committee, JapanGoogle Scholar
- Tamai T, Tanabe M, Hasegawa E, Matsuo N, Satoh K, Kojima K, Orkawa M, Mizukawa K (1982) Lacrimal gland accumulation of Ga-67 citrate in patients with keratoconjunctivitis sicca. Radioisotopes 31:32–35Google Scholar
- Takeda K, Nakagawa T, Kobayashi Y (1981) Orbital gallium scintigraphy (Japanese) Nuklearmedizin 18:195–203Google Scholar