Amylase isoenzymes in mumps
- 34 Downloads
The amylase isoenzymes activities in serum and urine from 75 children treated for complications of mumps were evaluated. The clinical observations, especially in cases with suspected pancreatitis, were compared with the P- and S-type amylase activities. Increased total activity of serum amylase in 79% of patients was due to increased S-type amylase. However, in 39% of patients there was also a markedly increased P-type serum amylase. Amylase isoenzymes may offer new insights into the relationship between the pancreas and the parotid glands in mumps.
Key wordsAmylase isoenzymes activities Parotic pancreatitis P- and S-type amylases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brien, D. O., Ibbott, F., Pinfield, A.: Critical evaluation of a new ultramicro system for routine clinical chemistry procedures. Clin. Chem. 7, 521–535 (1961)Google Scholar
- 2.Candel, S., Wheelock, M. C.: Serum amylase and serum lipase in mumps. Ann. Int. Med. 25, 88–96 (1946)Google Scholar
- 3.Ceska, M., Birath, K., Brown, B.: A new and rapid method for the clinical determination of α-amylase activities in human serum and urine. Optimal conditions. Clin. Chim. Acta 26, 437–444 (1969)Google Scholar
- 4.Duane, W. C., Frerichs, L., Levitt, M. D.: Simultaneous study of the metabolic turnover and renal excretion of salivary amylase-125I and pancreatic amylase-131I in the baboon. J. Clin. Invest. 51, 1504–1513 (1972)Google Scholar
- 5.Kamarýt, J., Macku, M., Nováková, J.: Amylase heterogeneity in parotitis (in Czech.). Vnitř. lék. 14, 349–356 (1968)Google Scholar
- 6.Kamarýt, J.: Nieren-Clearance der Isoamylasen beim Menschen. Z. Klin. Chem. Klin. Biochem. 7, 51–52 (1969)Google Scholar
- 7.Levitt, M. D., Rapoport, M., Cooperband, S. R.: The renal clearance of amylase in renal insufficiency, acute pancreatitis and macroamylasemia. Ann. Int. Med. 71, 919–925 (1969)Google Scholar
- 8.Nacchiero, M., Adler, M., Pieroni, P. L., Takeshima, T., Rudick, J., Dreiling, D. A.: The parotid and the pancreas. Am. J. Gastroenterol. 70, 151–157 (1978)Google Scholar
- 9.Nevařilová, A., Sixtová, E., Fassati, M.: Diagnosis and follow-up of parotic pancreatitis by means of the determination of serum alpha-amylase activity. In: Enzymology and its clinical use, J. Hořejší, J. Kraml (eds.), pp. 89–95. Prague: Acta Univ. Carol. Med. 1977Google Scholar
- 10.Štěpán, J., Škrha, J.: Measurement of amylase isoenzymes in human sera and urine using a DEAE-cellulose mini-column method. Clin. Chim. Acta 91, 263–271 (1979)Google Scholar
- 11.Warren, W. R.: Serum amylase and lipase in mumps. Am. J. Med. Sci. 230, 161–168 (1955)Google Scholar