Observations on food remains in faeces of elephant, leopard and crabeater seals
- 164 Downloads
Faecal material of leopard, crabeater and elephant seals was collected from the vicinity of Davis station, Antarctica. Very few identifiable remains were found in elephant seal droppings. Fish remains, mainly of Pleuragramma antarcticum, were found in both leopard and crabeater seal droppings. The mysid Antarctomysis maxima was also found in crabeater seal droppings and amphipods and decapod crustaceans in leopard seal droppings.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Croxall JP, Prince PA (1979) Antarctic seabird and seal monitoring studies. Polar Rec 19:573–595Google Scholar
- Gorelova TA, Gerasimchuk VV (1981) Data on nutrition and daily consuption of juvenile Pleuragramma antarcticum Boulenger. In: Parin NV (ed) Fishes of the open ocean. Acad Sci USSR, Moscow, pp 103–109Google Scholar
- Hofman RJ, Reichle RA, Siniff DB, Muller-Schwarze D (1977) The leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx) at Palmer Station, Antarctica. In: Llano GA (ed) Adaptations within Antarctic ecosystems. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, pp 769–782Google Scholar
- Laws RM (1984) Seals. In: Laws RM (ed) Antarctic ecology, Vol 2. Academic Press, London, pp 621–715Google Scholar
- Lindsey AA (1938) Notes on the Crab-eater seal. J Mammal 19:456–461Google Scholar
- Marr J (1962) The natural history and geography of the Antarctic Krill (Euphausia superba Dana). Discovery Rep 32:33–464Google Scholar
- Øritsland T (1977) Food consumption of seals in the Antarctic pack ice. In: Llano GA (ed) Adaptations within Antarctic ecosystems. Smithsonian Institution. Washington, pp 749–768Google Scholar
- Perkins JE (1945) Biology at Little America III, the west base of the United States Antarctic service expedition, 1939–1941. Proc Am Philos Soc 89:270–284Google Scholar
- Schultz LP (1945) Fishes of the United States Antarctic service expedition, 1939–1941. Proc Am Philos 89:298Google Scholar
- Ward P (1984) Aspects of the biology of Antarctomysis maxima (Crustacea:Mysidacea). Polar Biol 3:85–92Google Scholar
- Williams R, Kirkwood J, O'Sullivan D (1983) FIBEX cruise zooplankton data ANARE Res, Note 7, 163 ppGoogle Scholar
- Wilson EA (1907) Mammalia (seals and whales). In: National Antarctic expedition, 1901–1904. Natural History, Vol 2. (Zool) British Museum (Natural History), London, pp 1–66Google Scholar