Determinations of taurine in milk and infant formula diets
Taurine was analyzed in 25 different formula diets for infants by using an automatic amino acid analyzer and a specific program of separation. Average values from 17 samples of cows' milk and 36 samples of human milk (mainly from the 3rd till 6th day) served as controls.
The cows' milk samples were relatively low in taurine with values of 68 (30–123) mg/kg dry matter compared to the breast milk samples which exhibited an average value of 458 (163–1170) mg/kg dry matter. The 24 analyzed milk-based formulae for infant nutrition contained only 38 (24–55) mg taurine/kg dry matter. One milk-free formula was free also of taurine. The seven samples of highly whey-protein increased formulae had significantly higher levels of taurine than the preparations based on the original ratio of whey protein to casein in cows' milk.
Key wordsTaurine Infant nutrition Breast milk Formula diets Whey protein:casein ratio
- 1.Armstrong MD, Yates KN (1963) Free amino acids in milk. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 113:680–683Google Scholar
- 2.Erbersdobler HF, Greulich HG, Trautwein E (1983) Determination of taurine in foods and feeds using an amino acid analyser. J Chromatogr 254:232–334Google Scholar
- 3.Farriaux JP, Razemon-Pinta M, Fontaine G (1971) Les acides aminés libres du lait. La revue de pediatrie. 7:639–670Google Scholar
- 4.Ghadimi H, Pecora P (1963) Free amino acids of different kinds of milk. Am J Clin Nutr 13:75–81Google Scholar
- 5.Rana KS, Sanders TAB (1983) A comparison of breast-milk taurine concentrations in vegans and omnivores. Proc Nutr Soc (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Rassin DK, Sturman JA, Gaull GE (1978) Taurine and other amino acids in milk of man and other mammals. Early Hum Dev 2/1:1–13Google Scholar
- 7.Roe D, Weston MO (1965) Potential significance of free taurine in the diet. Nature 205:287–288Google Scholar
- 8.Sturman JA, Hayes KC (1980) The biology of taurine in nutrition and development. In: Draper HH (ed) Adv Nutr Res: 3. Plenum Press, New York London, pp 231–299Google Scholar
- 9.Sturman JA, Rassin DK, Gaull GE (1976) Taurine in development: Is it essential in the neonate? Pediatr Res 10:415 Nr. 688Google Scholar