Idiopathic infantile arterial calcification with cardiac, renal and central nervous system involvement
- 65 Downloads
Idiopathic infantile arterial calcification was diagnosed in a 2 week old infant with failure to thrive associated with neurological, renal and cardiac signs. Therapy with diphosphonate resulted in a complete resolution of vascular calcifications. At the age of 2 years the child is doing well but requires medical treatment for arterial hypertension.
Key wordsIdiopathic infantile arterial calcification Renal infarction Arterial hypertension Congestive heart failure Diphosphonates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bryant JA, White WA (1901) A case of calcification of the arteries and obliterative endarteritis associated with hydronephrosis in a child aged 6 months. Guy's Hosp Rep 55:17–28Google Scholar
- 2.Ivemark BI, k Lagergron C, Ljungqvist A (1962) Generalized arterial calcification associated with hydramnios in two stillborn infants. Acta Paediatr Scand 135:103–110Google Scholar
- 3.Lussier-Lazaroff J, Fletcher BD (1973) Idiopathic infantile arterial calcification. Roentgen diagnosis of a rare cause of coronary artery occlusion. Pediatr Radiol 1:224–228Google Scholar
- 4.Marrott PK, Newcombe KD, Becroft DM, Friedlander DH (1984) Idiopathic infantile calcification with survival into adult life. Pediatr Cardiol 5:119–122Google Scholar
- 5.Meradji M, Villeneuve VH de, Huber J, Bruijn WC, Pearse RG (1978) Idiopathic infantile arterial calcification in siblings: radiologic diagnosis and successful treatment. J Pediatr 92:401–405Google Scholar
- 6.Milner LS, Heitner R, Thomson PD, Levin SE, Rothberg AD, Beale P, Ninin DT (1984) Hypertension as the major problem of idiopathic arterial calcification of infancy. J Pediatr 105:934–938Google Scholar
- 7.Moran JJ, Steiner GL (1962) Idiopathic arterial calcification in a 5-year-old child. Am J Clin Pathol 73:521–526Google Scholar
- 8.Russell RG, Smith R (1973) Diphosphonates. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 55:66–86Google Scholar
- 9.Sholler GF, Yu JS, Bale PM, Hawker RE, Celermajer JM, Kozslowski K (1984) Generalized arterial calcification of infancy: three case reports including spontaneous regression with long-term survival. J Pediatr 105:257–260Google Scholar
- 10.Wait RB, White G, Davis JH (1983) Beneficial effects of verapamil on postischemic renal failure. Surgery 94:276–282Google Scholar