Evaluation of vein of Galen arteriovenous malformation in newborns by two dimensional ultrasound, pulsed and colour Doppler method
- 23 Downloads
Two babies with severe cardiac failure caused by a large arteriovenous malformation of the vein of Galen were evaluated with 2-dimensional ultrasound, pulsed and colour Doppler techniques. In both cases similar findings were recorded: dilated right cardiac chambers with high cardiac output in superior vena cava and ascending aorta; retrograde diastolic flow in descending aorta and continuous forward flow in arch arteries reflecting low resistance to flow in cerebral arteries; recirculation of microbubbles through the superior vena cava after passage unchanged through the cerebral malformation following contrast injection of saline into a peripheral vein or an arterial ombilical line. In addition, colour Doppler study of the brain clearly showed the malformation and the dilated straight sinus. Arteriovenous malformation of the vein of Galen can be noninvasively and easily detected by ultrasound studies of the heart and the brain.
Key wordsArteriovenous malformation of the vein of Galen Colour Doppler Pulsed Doppler Contrast echography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mardini M, Lazarte R, Huntington D, Hilliard J, Kramer L, O'Connel R, Allen R, Hepner S, Ziai M (1987) Diagnosis of cerebral arteriovenous malformation by contrast two-dimensional and Doppler ultrasonography of the head after saline injection in the umbilical arterial line. Am Heart J 114:450–452Google Scholar
- 2.Mickle P, Quisling R, Ryan P (1985) Transtorcular approach to vein of Galen aneurysms. Concepts Pediatr Neurosurg 6:230–238Google Scholar
- 3.Mullaart RA, Daniels O, Hopman JCW, Krijgsman JB, Kolke LAA, Rotteveel JJ, Stoelinga GBA, Slooff JL, Thijssen HOM (1982) Detection of congenital arteriovenous aneurysm of the great vein of Galen. Eur J Pediatr 139:195–197Google Scholar
- 4.Sholler GF, Whight CM, Celermajer JM (1986) Pulsed Doppler echocardiographic assessment of cardiac output in children with structural heart disease: validation including use of aortic leaflet separation. Am J Cardiol 57:1195–1197Google Scholar
- 5.Sivakoff M, Nouri S (1982) Diagnosis of vein of Galen arteriovenous malformation by two-dimensional ultrasound and pulsed Doppler method. Pediatrics 69:84–86Google Scholar
- 6.Snider R, Soifer S, Silverman N (1981) Detection of intracranial arteriovenous fistula by two-dimensional ultrasonography. Circulation 63:1179–1184Google Scholar