Factor VIII related antigen as an endothelial cell marker in benign and malignant diseases
- 238 Downloads
The presence and distribution of Factor VIII related antigen (FVIIIR:Ag) in formalin fixed, paraffin embedded tissue were studied in benign and malignant vascular tumors, inflammatory vascular diseases, normal tissue from various organs and a number of malignant tumors. The unlabeled peroxidase-anti-peroxidase method was utilized. Immunostaining was observed only in endothelial cells, in tumor cells of endothelial cell origin and in megakaryocytes and platelets. The staining method gave a distinct picture of the vascular pattern in all types of tissue examined. The demonstration of FVIIIR: Ag by means of the immunoperoxidase technique is considered a valuable method in diagnosing tumors of vascular origin. The method also facilitates detection of vascular invasion of malignant tumors in small caliber vessels.
Key wordsFactor VIII Endothelial cells Malignant tumors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom AL (1979) The biosynthesis of Factor VIII. Clin Haematol 8:53–77Google Scholar
- Bloom AL, Giddings JC, Wilks CJ (1973) Factor VIII on the vascular intima: possible importance in haemostasis and thrombosis. Nature (London) New Biol 241:217–219Google Scholar
- Hoyer LW, de los Santos RP, Hoyer JR (1973) Antihemophilic factor antigen: localization in endothelial cells by immunofluorescent microscopy. J Clin Invest 52:2737–2744Google Scholar
- Jaffe EA (1977) Endothelial cells and the biology of Factor VIII. N Engl J Med 296:377–383Google Scholar
- Jaffe EA, Hoyer LW, Nachman RL (1973) Synthesis of antihemophilic factor antigen by cultured human endothelial cells. J Clin Invest 52:2757–2764Google Scholar
- Mukai K, Rosai J, Burgdorf WHC (1980) Localization of factor VIII-related antigen in vascular endothelial cells using an immunoperoxidase method. Am J Surg Pathol 4:273–276Google Scholar
- Shearn SAM, Peake IR, Giddings JC, Humphrys J, Bloom AL (1977) The characterization and synthesis of antigens related to Factor VIII in vascular endothelium. Thromb Res 11:43–56Google Scholar
- Sternberger LA (1974) Immunocytochemistry. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New JerseyGoogle Scholar