Extensive dermatophytoses caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Microsporum canis in a patient with AIDS
Retrospective studies have shown the occurrence of episodes of deep or superficial fungal infections in 58 to 81% of HIV/AIDS patients as a result of impairment of cell immunity. We describe a case of disseminated cutaneous dermatophytoses caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Microsporum canis in a patients with AIDS. Diagnostic and therapeutic problems in relation to this unsual presentation are emphasized as well as the importance of an early mycologic diagnosis to prescribe antifungal therapy.
Key wordsAIDS dermatophytoses Microsporum canis Trichophyton mentagrophytes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Holmberg K, Meyer MR. Fungal infections in patients with AIDS and AIDS-related complex. Scand J Infect Dis 1989; 18: 179–82.Google Scholar
- 2.Sindrup JH, Weisman K, Petersen CS, Rindum J, Pedersen C, Mathisen L, et al. Skin and oral mucosal changes in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Acta Dermatol Venereol (Stockholm) 1988; 68: 440–3.Google Scholar
- 3.Groissier D, Bottone EJ, Lewohl MD. Association of Pityrosporum orbiculare (Malassezia furfur) with seborrheic dermatitis in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). J Am Acad Dermatol 1989; 20: 770–3.Google Scholar
- 4.Dompmartin D, Dompmartin A, Dewol AM, Grosshans E, Coulaud JP. Onychomycoses and AIDS: Clinical and laboratory findings in 62 patients. Int J Dermatol 1990; 29: 337–9.Google Scholar
- 5.Torök I, Stehlich G. Combined fungal infections in dermatomycoses and onychomycoses. Micologia Dermatol 1988; 2: 121.Google Scholar
- 6.Torres-Rodriguez JM, Balaguer-Meler J, Ventin Hernández M, Martín Casabona N. Multicenter study of dermatophyte distribution in the metropolitan area of Barcelona (Catalonia, Spain). Mycopathologia 1986; 93: 95–7.Google Scholar
- 7.Hay RH. Clinical aspect of dermatomycoses in AIDS patients. In: Vanden Bossche H, Mackenzie DWR, et al. eds. Mycoses in AIDS patients. New York: Plenum Press, 1989: 141–6.Google Scholar