Traumatic posterior dislocation of the hip —Prognostic factors influencing the incidence of avascular necrosis of the femoral head
- 328 Downloads
To elucidate the factors important for development of avascular necrosis of the femoral head following traumatic posterior dislocation of the hip, 98 adult patients with 100 hip dislocations were reviewed after a minimum follow-up of 5 years. Avascular necrosis of the femoral head was found in only 4.8% of the hips reduced within 6 h, but in 52.9% of the hips reduced more than 6 h after the injury.
Dislocations were classified according to Stewart and Milford ; a significantly higher incidence of avascular necrosis was found in grade-III and -IV dislocations than in grade-I and -II dislocations. We could not demonstrate any benefit from skeletal traction or non-weight bearing. The age of the patients was of no importance.
KeywordsPublic Health Prognostic Factor Adult Patient Femoral Head Avascular Necrosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brav EA (1962) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 44:1115–1134Google Scholar
- 2.Duncan CP, Shim S-S (1977) Blood supply of the femur in traumatic hip dislocation. Surg Gynecol Obstet 144:185–191Google Scholar
- 3.Epstein HC (1973) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop 92:116–142Google Scholar
- 4.Kristensen O, Stougaard J (1974) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. Results of conservative treatment. Acta Orthop Scand 45:206–212Google Scholar
- 5.Lambke L-O (1970) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. Acta Orthop Scand 41:188–198Google Scholar
- 6.Larson CB (1973) Fracture dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop 92:147–154Google Scholar
- 7.Morton KS (1959) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. Can J Surg 3:67–74Google Scholar
- 8.Paus B (1951) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. Acta Orthop Scand 21:99–112Google Scholar
- 9.Proctor H (1973) Dislocation of the hip joint and their complications. Injury 5:1–12Google Scholar
- 10.Rosenthal RE, Wesley LC (1978) Posterior fracture-dislocation of the hip. Trauma 19:572–581Google Scholar
- 11.Stewart MJ, Milford LW (1954) Fracture-dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 36:315–342Google Scholar
- 12.Stewart MJ, McCorroll HR Jr, Mullhollan JS (1975) Fracture-dislocation of the hip. Acta Orthop Scand 46:507–525Google Scholar
- 13.Thompson MD, Epstein HC (1951) Traumatic dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg [Am] 33:746–777Google Scholar
- 14.Vennits H (1960) Luxatio coxae traumatica. Ugeskr Laeger 122:1082–1084Google Scholar