DNA sequence analysis of the mitochondrial plasmid of Podospora anserinaa
- 39 Downloads
The nucleotide sequence in three regions of the mitochondrial plasmid (p1DNA) of Podospora anserina has been determined for almost 1,000 by of the altogether 2.4 kb. The first region beginning around excision point E1 comprises 652 by and is characterized by an AT content of about 58%. A long open reading frame (URF) (555 bp) can be attributed to this region coding for an unidentified polypeptide. No reading frame could be attributed to the second region (247 bp), since in all 6 possible phases numerous termination codons were detected. Its AT content was found to be 71%. The third region (87 bp) which ends with excision point E2 is too small for further analysis.
From these data it follows that the p1DNA consists of two regions with different functions at least. However, only the larger one beginning near excision point E1 appears to code for a protein.
Key wordsPodospora anserina p1DNA DNA Sequence Reading frame
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bonitz SG, Coruzzi G, Thalenfeld BE, Tzagoloff A (1980) J Biol Chem 255:11927–11941Google Scholar
- Burke JM, RajBhandary UL (1982) Cell 31:509–520Google Scholar
- Davies RW, Waring RB, Ray JA, Brown TA, Scazzocchio C (1982) Nature 300:719–724Google Scholar
- Esser K (1974) Podospora anserina. In: King RC (ed) Handbook of Genetics I. Plenum Press, New York, pp 531–551Google Scholar
- Esser K, Kück U, Stahl U, Tudzynski P (1983) Curr Genet (in press)Google Scholar
- Muck U, Esser K (1982) Curr Genet 5:143–147Google Scholar
- Kück U, Stahl U, Esser K (1981) Curr Genet 3:151–156Google Scholar
- Lazowska J, Jacq C, Slonimski PP (1980) Cell 22:333–348Google Scholar
- Maxam A, Gilbert W (1980) Meth Enzymol 65:499–560Google Scholar
- Schmelzer C, Schmidt C, Schweyen RJ (1982) Nucleic Acids Res 10:6797–6808Google Scholar
- Smith HO (1980) Meth Enzymol 65:371–380Google Scholar
- Stahl U, Lemke PA, Tudzynski P, Kück U, Esser K (1978) Mol Gen Genet 162:341–343Google Scholar
- Stahl U, Kick U, Tudzynski P, Esser K (1980) Mol Gen Genet 178:639–646Google Scholar
- Stahl U, Tudzynski P, Kuck U, Esser K (1982) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79:3641–3645Google Scholar
- Tudzynski P, Stahl U, Esser K (1980) Curr Genet 2:181–184Google Scholar
- Waring RB, Davies RW, Scazzocchio C, Brown TA (1982) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79:6332–6336Google Scholar
- Wright RM, Horrum MA, Cummings DJ (1982) Cell 29:505–515Google Scholar