The development and use of an 8-point, equalappearing interval scale to describe, penetration and aspiration events are described. Scores are determined primarily by the depth to which material passes in the airway and by whether or not material entering the airway is expelled. Intra-and interjudge reliability have been established. Clinical and scientific uses of the scale are discussed.
Key wordsDysphagia Aspiration Penetration Scaling Deglutition Deglutition disorders
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kirsch CM, Sanders A: Aspiration pneumonia: medical management. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 21:677–689, 1988Google Scholar
- 2.Langmore SE: Managing the complications of aspiration in dysphagic adults. Semin Speech Language 12:199–207, 1991Google Scholar
- 3.Logemann JA. Evaluation and Treatment of Swallowing Disorders.: San Diego: College-Hill Press, 1983Google Scholar
- 4.Rademaker AW, Pauloski BR, Logemann JA, Shanahan TK: Oropharyngeal swallow efficiency as a representative measure of swallowing function. J Speech Hear Res 37:314–325, 1994Google Scholar
- 5.Martin BJW, Corlew MM, Wood H, Olson D, Golopol LA, Wingo M, Kimani N: The association of swallowing dysfunction and aspiration pneumonia. Dysphagia 9:1–6, 1994Google Scholar
- 6.Lof GL, Robbins J: Test-retest variability in normal swallowing. Dysphagia 4:236–242, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Bloch DA, Kraemer HC: 2x2 Kappa coefficients: measures of agreement or association. Biometrics 45:269–287, 1989Google Scholar
- 8.Cohen J: A coefficient of, agreement for nominal scales. Educ Psychol Meas 20:37–46, 1960Google Scholar
- 9.Shrout PE, Fleiss JL: Intraclas correlations: uses in assessing rater reliability. Psychol Bull 86:420–428, 1979Google Scholar
- 10.SAS Institute Inc.: SAS/STAT User's Guide: vol 2 GLM-VARCOMP, version 6, 4th ed. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc, 1990Google Scholar
- 11.Guilford JP: Psychometric Methods, 2nd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1954Google Scholar