A study was made of the morphology and ultrastructure of Anabaenopsis sp. With the aid of serial sections the 3 dimensional appearance of the cell was studied. The lamellae form an anastomosing network, but isolated pockets of cytoplasm completely surrounded by lamellae probably do not occur. Interesting structures in this organism include clusters of bodies about 30 mμ in diameter which lie between the plasma membrane and the I layer of the wall, and a well developed system of plasmadesm-like fibrils running between plasma membranes of adjacent cells across both I and M wall layers.
KeywordsPlasma Membrane Fibril Vegetative Cell Serial Section Cell Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Echlin, P.: Intra-cytoplasmic membranous inclusions in the blue-green alga, Anacystis nidulans. Arch. Mikrobiol. 49, 267–274 (1964).Google Scholar
- Fogg, G. E.: Growth and heterocyst production in Anabaena cylindrica Lemm III. The cytology of heterocysts. Ann. Bot. Lond., N.S. 15, 23–36 (1951).Google Scholar
- Marchant, R., and A. J. Robards: Membrane systems associated with plasmalemma of plant cells. Ann. Bot. Lond., N.S. 32, 97–117 (1968).Google Scholar
- Miller, M. M., and N. J. Lang: The fine structure of akinete formation and germination in Cylindrospermum. Arch. Mikrobiol. 60, 303–313 (1968).Google Scholar
- Pankratz, H. S., and C. C. Bowen: Cytology of blue-green algae. I. The cells of Symploca muscorum. Amer. J. Bot. 50, 387–399 (1963).Google Scholar
- Peat, A.: Fine structure of the vegetative thallus of the lichen, Peltigera polydactyla. Arch. Mikrobiol. 61, 212–222 (1968).Google Scholar
- —, and B. A. Whitton: Environmental effects on the structure of the blue-green alga, Chlorogloea fritschii. Arch. Mikrobiol. 57, 155–180 (1967).Google Scholar
- Walsby, A. E.: A new culture flask. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 9, 443–447 (1967).Google Scholar
- Wildon, D. C., and F. V. Mercer: The ultrastructure of the heterocyst and akinete of the blue-green algae. Arch. Mikrobiol. 47, 19–31 (1963).Google Scholar