Fine control of citrate synthase activity in blue-green algae
- 47 Downloads
The citrate synthases of four blue-green algae, two unicellular (Aphanocapsa spp.) and two filamentous (Nostoc sp., Phormidium sp.) were inhibited by α-ketoglutarate but not by NADH. This control of citrate synthase activity reflects the lack of α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase in blue-green algae and the strictly biosynthetic role played by the glutamate branch of the tricarboxylic acid cycle. The citrate synthases were also inhibited by ATP and the enzyme of one of the unicellular organisms was also sensitive to inhibition by NADPH. These effectors may function in regulating the flow of fixed carbon into lipids rather than the glutamate family of amino acids.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Flechtner, V. R., Hanson, R. S.: Regulation of the tricarboxylic acid cycle in bacteria. A comparison of citrate synthases from different bacteria. Biochim. biophys. Acta (Amst.) 222, 253–264 (1970)Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., Randall, R. J.: Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. biol. Chem. 193, 265–275 (1951)Google Scholar
- Provasoli, L., McLaughlin, J. J. A., Droop, M. R.: The development of artificial media for marine algae. Arch. Mikrobiol. 25, 392–428 (1957)Google Scholar
- Smith, A. J., London, J., Stanier, R. Y.: Biochemical basis of obligate autotrophy in thiobacilli and blue-green algae. J. Bact. 94, 972–983 (1967)Google Scholar
- Srere, P. A., Brazil, H., Gonen, L.: Citrate condensing enzyme of pigeon breast muscle and moth flight muscle. Acta chem. scand. 17, S129-S134 (1963)Google Scholar
- Stadtman, E. R.: Preparation and assay of acyl coenzyme A and other thiol esters: use of hydroxylamine. In: Methods in enzymology, S. P. Colowick and N. O. Kaplan, Eds., Vol. 3, pp. 931–941. New York: Academic Press 1957Google Scholar
- Stanier, R. Y., Kunisawa, R., Mandel, M., Cohen-Barire, G.: Purification and properties of unicellular blue-green algae (Order Chroococcales). Bact. Rev. 35, 171–205 (1971)Google Scholar
- Taylor, B. F.: Regulation of citrate synthase activity in strict and facultatively autotrophic thiobacilli. Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 40, 957–963 (1970)Google Scholar
- Taylor, B. F.: The regulation of citrate synthase in a unicellular blue-green alga. Amer. Soc. Microbiol. Abstract P151 (1972)Google Scholar
- Weitzman, P. D. J., Dunmore, P.: Regulation of citrate synthase activity by α-ketoglutarate. Metabolic and taxonomic significance. FEBS Letters 3, 265–267 (1969)Google Scholar
- Weitzman, P. D. J., Jones, D.: Regulation of citrate synthase and microbial taxonomy. Nature (Lond.) 219, 270–272 (1968)Google Scholar