Retinal detachment and pathology following experimental embolization of choroidal and retinal circulation
- 33 Downloads
By means of a micro-surgical technique, the central retinal artery of the owl monkey (Aotus trivirgatus) was embolized with spheric plastic beads (7–25 μ in diameter). Beads (4–15 μ) were also injected into choroidal capillaries through a supero-temporal vortex vein.
Choroidal ischemia induced proliferation or degeneration of the pigment epithelium, frequently accompanied by photoreceptor degeneration and circumscribed retinal detachment. Occlusion of retinal vessels resulted in posterior vitreous detachment and micro-cystoid degeneration in inner retinal layers, followed by retinal schisis. In combined retinal and choroidal ischemia long-lasting retinal detachments regularly developed.
KeywordsPublic Health Vortex Ischemia Retinal Detachment Pigment Epithelium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Algvere, P.: Dissociation of the vitreo-retinal junction following experimental embolization of retinal circulation. Albrecht v. Graefes Arch. klin. exp. Ophthal. (In press)Google Scholar
- Algvere, P., Balazs, E.A.: Experimental retinal detachment in owl monkeys. Effect of intravitreal hyaluronidase injection and choroidal and retinal embolization. Mod. Probl. Ophthal., Vol. 12, pp. 152. Basel: Karger 1974Google Scholar
- Collier, R.H.: Experimental embolic ischemia of the choroid. A.M.A.Arch. Ophthal. 77, 683 (1967)Google Scholar
- Foulds, W.S.: Experimental retinal detachment. Tr. Ophthal. Soc. U.K. 83, 153 (1963)Google Scholar
- Klöti, R.: Experimentelle Verschlüsse von Netzhaut- und Aderhaut-Gefäßen beim Affen. Mod. Probl. Ophthal., Vol. 8, pp. 64. Basel: Karger 1969Google Scholar
- Landholm, W.M., Watzke, R.C.: Experimental retinal detachment with a sulphated polysaccharide. Invest. Ophthal. 4, 42 (1965)Google Scholar
- Machemer, R.: Experimental retinal detachment in the owl monkey. II. Histology of retina and pigment epithelium. Am. J. Ophth. 66, 397 (1968)Google Scholar
- Spencer, W.H.: Renaissance of the retinal pigment epithelium. A.M.A. Arch. Ophthal. 88, 1 (1972)Google Scholar
- Zimmerman, L.E., Eastham, A.B.: Acid mucopolysaccharide in the retinal pigment epithelium and visual cell layer of the developing mouse eye. Am. J. Ophthl. 47, 488 (1959)Google Scholar
- Zimmerman, L.E., Naumann, G.: The pathology of retinoschisis. In: McPherson, A. (ed): New and controversial aspects of retinal detachment, pp. 400. New York: Harper & Row 1968Google Scholar
- Zimmerman, L.E., Spencer, W.H.: The pathologic anatomy of retinoschisis. With a report of two cases diagnosed clinically as malignant melanoma. A.M.A. Arch. Ophthal. 63, 34 (1960)Google Scholar