Metabolism of phosphoenolpyruvate in the C4 cycle during photosynthesis in the phosphoenolpyruvate-carboxykinase C4 grass Spartina anglica Hubb.
- 60 Downloads
The aim of this work was to investigate the fate of phosphoenolpyruvate (PEP) produced by decarboxylation of oxaloacetate during photosynthesis in the bundle sheaths of leaves of the PEP-carboxykinase C4 grass Spartina anglica Hubb. Mesophyll protoplasts and bundle sheath cells were separated enzymically and used to investigate activities and distributions of putative enzymes of the C4 cycle and the photosynthetic carbon metabolism of bundle sheath cells. The results indicate that neither conversion of PEP to pyruvate nor its conversion to 3-phosphoglycerate can account for all of the carbon flux through the C4 cycle during photosynthesis. It is likely, therefore, either that PEP moves directly from bundle sheath to mesophyll or that more than one pathway of regeneration of PEP is involved in the C4 cycle in this plant.
Key wordsBundle sheath cell Mesophyll protoplast Phosphoenolpyruvate-carboxykinase C4 plant Phosphoenolpyruvate metabolism Photosynthesis (enzymes) Spartina
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnon, D.I. (1949) Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol. 24, 1–15Google Scholar
- Chapman, K.S.R., Hatch, M.D. (1983) Intracellular location of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase and other C4 photosynthetic enzymes in mesophyll and bundle sheath protoplasts of Panicum maximum. Plant Sci. Lett. 29, 145–154Google Scholar
- Edwards, G.E., Huber, S.C. (1981) The C4 pathway. In: The biochemistry of plants, vol. 8: Photosynthesis, pp. 237–281, Hatch, M.D., Boardman, N.K., eds. Academic Press, New York LondonGoogle Scholar
- Edwards, G.E., Ku, M.S.B., Hatch, M.D. (1982) Photosynthesis in Panicum milioides, a species with reduced photorespiration. Plant Cell Physiol. 23, 1185–1195Google Scholar
- Hatch, M.D. (1976) The C4 pathway of photosynthesis: mechanism and function. In: CO2 metabolism and plant productivity, pp. 59–81, Burris, R.H., Black, C.C., eds. University Park Press, Baltimore, Pa.Google Scholar
- Hatch, M.D., Mau, S.-L. (1973) Activity, location and role of aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase isoenzymes in leaves with C4 pathway photosynthesis. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 156, 195–206Google Scholar
- Hatch, M.D., Slack, C.R. (1970) The C4-dicarboxylic acid pathway of photosynthesis. Prog. Phytochem. 2, 35–106Google Scholar
- Hatch, M.D., Slack, C.R. (1975) Pyruvate, Pi dikinase from leaves. Methods Enzymol. 42, 212–219Google Scholar
- Huber, S.C., Edwards, G.E. (1975) Regulation of oxaloacetate, aspartate, and malate formation in mesophyll protoplast extracts of three types of C4 plants. Plant Physiol. 50, 324–331Google Scholar
- Ireland, R.J., DeLuca, V., Dennis, D.T. (1979) Isoenzymes of pyruvate kinase in etioplasts and chloroplasts. Plant Physiol. 63, 903–907Google Scholar
- Ireland, R.J., DeLuca, V., Dennis, D.T. (1980) Characterization and kinetics of isoenzymes of pyruvate kinase from developing castor bean endosperm. Plant Physiol. 65, 1188–1193Google Scholar
- Lowry, O.H., Passonneau, J.V. (1972) A flexible system of enzymatic analysis. Academic Press, New York LondonGoogle Scholar
- Miernyk, J., Dennis, D.T. (1982) Isozymes of the glycolytic enzymes in endosperm from developing castor oil seeds. Plant Physiol 69, 825–828Google Scholar
- Nakamoto, H., Edwards, G.E. (1983) Influence of oxygen and temperature on the dark inactivation of pyruvate, orthophosphate dikinase and NADP-malate dehydrogenase in maize. Plant Physiol. 71, 568–573Google Scholar
- Rathnam, C.K.M., Edwards, G.E. (1977) C4-dicarboxylic acid metabolism in bundle-sheath chloroplasts, mitochondria and strands of Eriochloa borumensis Hack., a phosphoenol-pyruvate-carboxykinase type C4 species. Planta 133, 135–144Google Scholar
- Smith, A.M., Jones, D.A., Woolhouse, H.W. (1982) Photosynthetic carbon metabolism of the cool-temperate C4 grass Spartina anglica Hubb. Planta 156, 441–448Google Scholar
- Sugiyama, T., Schmitt, M.R., Ku, S.B., Edwards, G.E. (1979) Differences in cold lability of pyruvate, Pi dikinase among C4 species. Plant Cell Physiol. 20, 965–971Google Scholar