Excised shoot apices of maize (Zea mays L.), comprising the apical meristem and one or two leaf primordia, have been cultured and can form rooted plantlets. The plantlets, derived from meristems that had previously formed 7–10 nodes, develop into mature, morphologically normal plants with as many nodes as seed-grown plants. These culture-derived plants exhibited the normal pattern of development, with regard to the progression of leaf lengths along the plant and position of axillary buds and aar shoots. Isolation of the meristem from previously formed nodes reinitiates the pattern and number of nodes formed in the new plant. Thus, cells of the meristem of a maize plant at the seedling stage are not determined to form a limited number of nodes.
Key wordsOrgan culture Shoot apex Zea (cultured shoot apex)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coe, E.H., Jr., Neuffer, M.G. (1978) Embryo cells and their destinies in the corn plant. In: The clonal basis of development, pp 113–129; Subtelny, S., Sussex, I.M. eds. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- de Ropp, R.S. (1945) Studies, on the physiology of leaf growth. I. The effect of various accessory growth factors, on the growth of the first leaf on isolated, stem tips of rye. Ann. Bot. N.S. 9, 369–381Google Scholar
- McDaniel, C.M. (1980), Influence of leaves and roots on meristem development in Nicotiana tabacum L. cv. Wisconsin 38. Planta 148, 462–467Google Scholar
- Polowick, P.L., Greyson, R.I. (1982) Anther development, meiosis and pollen formation in Zea tassels cultured in defined liquid medium. Plant Sci. Lett. 26, 139–145Google Scholar
- Purvis O.N. (1940) Vernalization of fragments of embryo tissue. Nature 145, 462Google Scholar
- Raman, K., Walden, D.B., Greyson, R.I. (1980) Propagation of Zea mays L. by shoot, tip culture: a feasibility study. Ann. Bot. 45, 183–189Google Scholar
- Russell W.K., Stuber, C.W. (1983) Effects of, photoperiod and temperatures on the duration of vegetative growth in maize. Crop Sci 23, 847–850Google Scholar
- Singer, S.R., McDaniel, C.N. (1986) Floral determination in the terminal and axillary buds of Nicotiana tabacum L. Dev. Biol. 118, 587–592Google Scholar
- Smith, R.H., Murashige, T. (1970) In vitro development of the isolated shoot apical meristem of angiosperms. Am. J. Bot. 57, 562–568Google Scholar
- Wetmore, R.H., Wardlaw, C.W. (1951) Experimental morphogenesis in vascular plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. 2, 269–292Google Scholar