Structural analysis of insulin determinants seen by T cells directed by H-2 genes
- 20 Downloads
The magnitude of the immune response of lymphocytes to defined antigenic determinants of ungulate insulins is controlled by the products of H-2 genes. Based on the crystallographically solved structure of porcine insulin, the close homology of all the ungulate insulins, and the amino acid substitutions, we built models of the different insulins. We analyzed the likely conformations of the antigenic determinants, and proposed structural specificities accounting for the immunologic phenomena observed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atassi, M. Z.: The antigenic structure of myoglobin and initial consequences of its precise determination. CRC Cit. Rev. Biochem. 6: 337–369, 1979aGoogle Scholar
- Binz, H. and Wigzell, H.: Shared idiotypic determinants on B and T lymphocytes reactive against the same antigenic determinants. I. Demonstration of similar or identical idiotypes on IgG molecules and T cell receptors with specificity for the same alloantigens. J. Exp. Med. 142: 197–211, 1975CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dodson, F., Dodson, G., Hodgkin, D. C., and Reynold, C. D.: Structural relationship in the two-zinc insulin hexamer. J. Biochem. 57: 469–479, 1979Google Scholar
- Ely, K. R., Girlins, R. I., Schiffer, M., Cunningham, D. E., and Edmonson, A. B.: Preparation and properties of crystals of a Bence-Jones dimer with mercury inserted into the interchain disulfid bond. Biochem. 12: 4233–4237, 1973Google Scholar
- Freidman, A., Gitler, C., and Cohen, I. R.: Molecular aspects of the processing and presentation of avidin by macrophages to T lymphocytes. In C. W. Pierce, S. E. Cullen, J. Kapp, B. D. Schwartz, and D. C. Shreffler (eds.): Ir Genes: Past, Present and Future, in press, Humana Press, Clifton, N. J., 1983Google Scholar
- Givol, D., Gavish, M., Zakut, R., Ben-Neriah, Y., and Lonai,P.: Combining site and antigenic determinants of the V region. Hematologia Budap. 12: (1-4): 15–24, 1979Google Scholar
- Ranghino, G., Talmon, J., Yonath, A., and Cohen, I. R.: The conformation of antigenic determinants of insulin and H-2 genes control of the immune response of T lymphocytes. In M. Balaban, L. J. Sussman, W. Traub, and A. Yonath (eds.): Structural Aspects of Recognition and Assembly in Biological Macromolecules, pp. 263–279, Balaban International Science Services, Rehovot, Philadelphia, 1981Google Scholar
- Richards, F. M. and Richmond, J.: Solvents, interfaces and protein structure. Ciba Found. Symp. 60, 23–45, 1978Google Scholar