Taxonomic studies on Filobasidiella species and their anamorphs
- 161 Downloads
The taxonomy of Filobasidiella neoformans Kwon-Chung and F. bacillispora Kwon-Chung and their anamorphs were reinvestigated. Although the cross between the type cultures of the two species failed to produce viable basidio-spores, another pair of isolates did yield viable basidiospores. The segregation of phenotypic markers among the tetrads isolated from this interspecific cross proved that meiosis had occurred. On the basis of other previously known differences and the present genetic study, the two species are now considered to be two varieties of the species, F. neoformans. The anamorph of F. neoformans var. neoformans grew well at 37°C in vitro and produced fatal infection in mice while that of F. neoformans var. bacillispora grew poorly at 37°C and failed to produce fatal infection in mice. Cryptococcus bacillisporus Kwon-Chung et Bennett is regarded as a synonym of C. neoformans var. gattii Vanbreuseghem et Takashio.
KeywordsGenetic Study Taxonomic Study Phenotypic Marker Interspecific Cross Fatal Infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aulakh, H. S., Straus, S. E. and Kwon-Chung, K. J. 1981. Genetic relatedness of Filobasidiella neoformans (Cryptococcus neoformans) and Filobasidiella bacillispora (Cryptococcus bacillisporus) as determined by DNA base composition and sequence homology studies. — Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 31: 97–103.Google Scholar
- Bennett, J. E., Kwon-Chung, K. J. and Howard, D. H. 1977. Epidemiologic differences among serotypes of Cryptococcus neoformans. — Amer. J. Epidemiol. 105: 582–586.Google Scholar
- Henderson, D. K., Edwards, J. E., Jr., Dismukes, W. E. and Bennett, J. E. 1981. Meningitis produced by different serotypes of Cryptococcus neoformans. — Abstracts of the annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, p. 315.Google Scholar
- Kwon-Chung, K. J. 1976. A new species of Filobasidiella, the sexual state of Cryptococcus neoformans B and C serotypes. — Mycologia 68: 942–946.Google Scholar
- Kwon-Chung, K. J. 1978. Heterothallism vs. self-fertile isolates of Filobasidiella neoformans (Cryptococcus neoformans). p. 204–213. — Scientific publication No. 356, Pan American Health Organization, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Kwon-Chung, K. J. and Bennett, J. E. 1978. Distribution of α and a mating types of Cryptococcus neoformans among natural and clinical isolates. — Amer. J. Epidemiol. 108: 337–340.Google Scholar
- Kwon-Chung, K. J., Bennett, J. E. and Theodore, T. S. 1978. Cryptococcus bacillisporus sp. nov. Serotype B-C of Cryptococcus neoformans. — Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 28: 616–620.Google Scholar
- Salkin, I. F. and Hurd, N. J. 1981. A new medium for differentiation of Cryptococcus neoformans serotype pairs. — J. Clin. Microbiol. in press.Google Scholar
- Schmeding, K. A., Jong, S. C. and Hugh, R. 1981. Sexual compatibility between serotypes of Filobasidiella neoformans (Cryptococcus neoformans) — Current Microbiol. 5: 133–138.Google Scholar