Some characteristics of terpenoid biosynthesis by leucoplasts of Citrofortunella mitis
- 41 Downloads
The capacity of leucoplasts to synthesize monoterpene hydrocarbons has been further investigated by studying the synthesis of higher-terpene homologues. Isolated leucoplasts were unable to esterify chlorophyllides into chlorophylls and to synthesize carotenoids. In addition, the later steps of α-tocopherol and phylloquinone synthesis were not performed. In spite of the presence of a prenyltransferase activity leading to the synthesis of alcohol terpenes higher than gerniol (farnesol, geranyl-geraniol), these higher terpenes were not further metabolized in vitro by leucoplasts.
Key wordsCapsicum Citrofortunella Leucoplast Terpenoid metabolism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Block, M.A., Joyard, J., Douce, R. (1980) Site of synthesis of geranylgeraniol derivatives in intact spinach chloroplasts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 631, 210–219Google Scholar
- Bradford, M.M. (1976) A rapid and sensitive method of the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem. 72, 248–254Google Scholar
- Camara, B. (1985) Carotene synthesis in Capsicum chromoplasts. Methods Enzymol. 110, 244–253Google Scholar
- Camara, B. Bardat, F., Jeye, A., d'Harlingue, A., Moneger, R. (1982) Terpenoid metabolism in plastids. Plant Physiol. 70, 1562–1563Google Scholar
- Carde, J.P. (1984) Leucoplasts: a distinct kind of organelle lacking typical 70 S ribosomes and free thylakoids. Eur. J. Cell Biol. 34, 18–26Google Scholar
- Dogbo, O., Bardat, F., Camara, B. (1984) Terpenoid metabolism in plastids: activity, localization and substrate specificity of chlorophyll synthetase in Capsicum annuum plastids. Physiol. Vég. 22, 75–82Google Scholar
- Gaudillere, I.P., d'Harlingue, A., Camara, B., Moneger, R. (1984) Prenylation and methylation reactions in phylloquinone (vitamin K1) synthesis in Capsicum annuum plastids. Plant Cell Rep. 3, 240–242Google Scholar
- Gleizes, M., Pauly, G., Carde, J.P., Marpeau, A., Bernard-Dagan, C. (1983) Monoterpene hydrocarbon biosynthesis by isolated leucoplasts of Citrofortunella mitis. Planta 159, 373–381Google Scholar
- Rudiger, W., Benz, J., Guthoff, C. (1980) Detection and partial characterization of activity of chlorophyll synthetase in etioplast membranes. Eur. J. Biochem. 109, 193–200Google Scholar