The cell cycle in vegetative and floral shoot meristems measured by a double labelling technique
- 33 Downloads
A double labelling technique was used to measure the length of the cell cycle in the shoot apical meristem of Silene coeli-rosa L. plants kept in short days, in which they remained vegetative, or exposed to 7 long days, which induced flowering. The length of the cell cycle in the vegetative plants (those in short days throughout) was about 18 hrs. It was also 18 hrs, or somewhat longer, in plants which had been exposed to long-day conditions for 5 days, by which time 90% of the plants are committed to flower. When plants had been exposed to the full inductive period of 7 long days and had been transferred back again to non-inductive (short day) conditions, floral morphogenesis had just begun and the cell cycle had almost halved, to 10 hrs. The cell cycle was therefore unaltered during floral induction and shortened only at the onset of the growth of the flower itself.
KeywordsCell Cycle Inductive Period Apical Meristem Shoot Apical Meristem Double Labelling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernier, G.: Structural and metabolic changes in the shoot apex in transition to flowering. Canad. J. Bot. 49, 803–819 (1971)Google Scholar
- Bernier, G., Bronchart, R.: Application de la technique d'histoautoradiographie a l'étude de l'incorporation de thymidine tritiée dans les méristèmes caulinaires. Bull. Soc. roy. Sci. Liège 32, 269–283 (1963)Google Scholar
- Bodson, M.: Variation in the rate of cell division in the apical meristem of Sinapis alba during transition to flowering. Ann. Bot. 39, 547–554 (1975)Google Scholar
- Casselman, W. G. B.: Histochemical technique. London: Methuen 1959Google Scholar
- Corson, G. E.: Cell division studies of the shoot apex of Datura stramonium during transition to flowering. Amer. J. Bot. 56, 1127–1134 (1969)Google Scholar
- Jacqmard, A.: Duration of the mitotic cycle in the apical bud of Rudbeckia bicolor. New Phytol. 69, 269–271 (1970)Google Scholar
- Lyndon, R. F.: The cell cycle in the shoot apex. In: The cell cycle in development and differentiation, p. 167–183, Balls, M., Billett, F. S., eds. Cambridge: University Press 1973Google Scholar
- Michaux, N.: Duree des phases du cycle mitotique dans le méristème apical de l'Isoetes setacea Lam. C. R. Acad. Sci. (Paris) 269D, 1396–1399 (1969)Google Scholar
- Rogers, A.: Techniques of autoradiography. Amsterdam-London-New York: Elsevier 1967Google Scholar
- Sunderland, N.: Cell division and expansion in the growth of the shoot apex. J. exp. Bot. 12, 446–457 (1961)Google Scholar
- Wimber, D. E., Quastler, H.: A 14C-and 3H-thymidine double labelling technique in the study of cell proliferation in Tradescantia root tips. Exp. Cell Res. 30, 8–22 (1963)Google Scholar