Advertisement

Marine Biology

, Volume 22, Issue 1, pp 67–73 | Cite as

Investigations on the biology of Branchiostoma senegalense larvae off the northwest African coast

  • F. Gosselck
  • E. Kuehner
Article

Abstract

Branchiostoma senegalense Webb spawns from April to June off the coast of the Spanish Sahara between 23° and 26°N. The larvae drift in a southerly direction, and occur in large numbers off Cap Blanc (20° 55′N; 17° 22′W) from June to December. The gut contents of 3,300 larvae taken from 22 samples were investigated. There was no food in the gut of 18% of these larvae. Phytoplankton (Thalassiosira gravida, Nitzschia seriata, Coscinodiscus eccentricus, Dinophysis acuminata etc.) were found in the gut of the remaining 82%. The guts of three larvae also contained crustaceans (a cyclopoid, a harpacticoid, and an isopod). Since all three crustaceans showed no signs of having been digested, the authors conclude that they actively penetrated into the larvae and were not eaten. Plankton samples were taken from various depths (55 to 25 m and 25 to 0 m) daily (7.30, 12.30, 19.00, 0.15 hrs) at an anchor station, over a period of 10 days. There was no evidence of a diurnal vertical migration of B. senegalense larvae. The larvae were found in various numbers at all depths. No larvae were found on the bottom itself. The larvae of B. senegalense are, thus, genuine plankton organisms.

Keywords

Migration Phytoplankton Vertical Migration Plankton Sample African Coast 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Literature Cited

  1. Chin, T. G.: Studies on the biology of the Amoy amphioxus Branchiostoma belcheri (Gray) Philipp. J. Sci. 75, 369–424 (1941).Google Scholar
  2. Gosselck, F. and E. Hagen: Vorkommen und Verbreitung der Larven von Branchiostoma senegalense (Arcania, Branchiostomidae) vor Nord-West-Afrika. Fisch.-Forsch. (In press).Google Scholar
  3. Hartmann, J. und H. Ch. John: Planktische Branchiostoma nordwestlich der Doggerbank (Nordsee). Ber. dt. wiss. Kommn Meeresforsch. 22, 80–84 (1971).Google Scholar
  4. Hausmann, A., L. Postel und W. Woska: Grobquantitative und grobqualitative Untersuchungen am Zooplankton des küstennahen (on shore) und küstenfernen (off shore) Auftriebsgebiet im östlichen Mittelatlantik (F. S. “Alexander von Humboldt” August–November 1970). Diplomarbeit, Universität Rostock, unpublished. 1971.Google Scholar
  5. Van Wijhe, J. W.: On the temporary presence of the primary mouth-opening in the larva of Amphioxus, and the occurrence of three postoral papillae, which are probably homologous with those of the larva of ascidians. Proc. K. ned. Akad. Wet. 29, 286–295 (1926).Google Scholar
  6. —: Observations on the adhesive apparatus and the function of the ilio-colon ring in the living larva of Amphioxus in the growth-period. Proc. K. ned. Akad. Wet. 30, 991–1003 (1927).Google Scholar
  7. Webb, J. E.: On the feeding and behaviour of the larva of Branchiostoma lanceolatum. Mar. Biol. 3, 58–72 (1969).Google Scholar
  8. Wickstead, J. H. and Q. Bone: Ecology of acraniate larvae. Nature, Lond. 184, 1849–1851 (1959).Google Scholar
  9. Wiktor, K.: La composition de la nourriture du maquerau, Scomber colias, des eaux cotiere de l'Afrique du Nord-Quest. ICES Paper No. 1970, J: 7, Copenhagen 1970.Google Scholar
  10. Willey, A.: The later larval development of Amphioxus. Q. Jl microsc. Sci. 32, 183–234 (1891).Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 1973

Authors and Affiliations

  • F. Gosselck
    • 1
  • E. Kuehner
    • 1
  1. 1.Biological Section, Department for Marine and Fishery BiologyRostock UniversityRostockGermany (GDR)

Personalised recommendations