Stimulation of Avena coleoptile growth by reduction of oxygen supply
- 23 Downloads
The growth of Avena sativa L. coleoptiles was accelerated by reduction of the O2 concentration in the surrounding atmosphere. Cell-wall extensibility was increased in close relation to the increase in elongation, 6–8% O2 giving the optimal effect in either case. Growth promotion by reduced O2 concentration and by auxin (indole-3-acetic acid; IAA) were additive, at least at lower auxin concentrations.
This response to reduced O2 concentration was also present in sections pretreated with cycloheximide for 2 h, although such sections showed no response to applied IAA. No significant change was observed in auxin transport under reduced O2 supply. It is suggested that the acceleration of cell elongation and the loosening of cell wall by reduced O2 supply are due to a mechanism which is not directly dependent on auxin-induced growth. We propose to designate this acceleration of growth under reduced O2 concentrations as oxygen-sensitive growth.
KeywordsOxygen Atmosphere Cell Wall Close Relation Oxygen Supply
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cleland, R.: Protein synthesis and wall extensibility in the Avena coleoptile. Planta (Berl.) 95, 218–226 (1970)Google Scholar
- Cleland, R.: Instability of the growth-limiting proteins of the Avena coleoptile and their pool size in relation to auxin. Planta (Berl.) 99, 1–11 (1971)Google Scholar
- Key, J. L., Shannon, J. C.: Enhancement by auxin of ribonucleic acid synthesis in excised soybean hypocotyl tissue. Plant Physiol. 39, 360–364 (1964)Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., Randall, R. J.: Protein measurements with the Folin phenol reagent. J. biol. Chem. 193, 265–275 (1961)Google Scholar
- Nagao, M., Ohwaki, Y.: The effect of some inhibitors of alcoholic fermentation and respiration on the growth of the coleoptiles in Oryza sativa and Avena sativa. Sci. Rep. Tohoku Univ., Ser. IV (Biol.) 20, 54–71 (1953)Google Scholar
- Noodén, L. D., Thimann, K. V.: Evidence for a requirement for protein synthesis for auxin-induced cell enlargment. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (Wash.) 50, 194–200 (1963)Google Scholar
- Olson, A. C., Bonner, J., Morré, D. J.: Force extension analysis of Avena coleoptile cell wall. Planta (Berl.) 66, 126–134 (1965)Google Scholar
- Rayle, D. L., Cleland, R.: Enhancement of wall loosening and elongation by acid solution. Plant Physiol. 46, 250–253 (1970)Google Scholar
- Schroeder, H.: Über den Einfluß von Außenfaktoren auf die Koleoptilenlänge bei Oryza sativa und einigen anderen Gramineen. Ber. dtsch. bot. Ges. 28, 38–50 (1910)Google Scholar
- Strugger, S.: Über das Wachstum dekapitierter Keimpflanzen. Ber. dtsch. bot. Ges. 50, 77–92 (1933)Google Scholar
- Wada, S.: Uptake and metabolism of indoleacetic acid by rice coleoptile sections floated and submerged in the solution. Sci. Rep. Tohoku Univ., Ser. IV (Biol.) 27, 209–221 (1961)Google Scholar
- Yamada, N.: Auxin relationships of the rice coleoptile. Plant Physiol. 29, 92–96 (1954)Google Scholar